Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$1000 Budget

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 deeds281

deeds281

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:30 AM

I've decided to buy a computer pre-built and need some advice on what to get.

I'm going to be running Vista and will mostly be using the computer for music and if possible games.

Also I already have what I think is a nice monitor but I will need a new keyboard and mouse. They wont count towards the budget but i could use some recommendations.

Thanks and good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 08 August 2008 - 01:11 PM.
moved to appropiate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

I'd suggest going with the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor for $170.

For a graphics card get an ATI 4850. They are currently the card with the "best bang for the buck". Here's a link to a good one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102747 .

I would spend around $100 for a decent Intel motherboard. Some good brands for motherboards include: Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI.

For the Hard Drive, 500gb is currently one of the best price per gigabyte points. You can usually find them for around $75-$80.

4gb of ram is a good amount of ram, but if you're running low on cash, 2gb should be enough for now. I'm running 2gb and don't really notice any sluggish activities, except when installing large programs or games. You will need a 64-bit OS for your computer to recognize more than about 3.5gb of total ram.

For a power supply you should get something around 400 watts or better. I'd suggest this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371007

If you need more help, feel free to ask!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users