Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Hi all,

I'm having 2 problems with my system and have been troubleshooting for a long time. The first problem is windows sites.

Windows update,download center,hotmail,messenger. All return "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
The system is XP Pro, fully updated, SP3 (this is a fresh install) The event viewer is clean, used dial a fix, firewall checks out, hosts file updated, performed anti malware scans. The problem still remains.

Problem 2

Every time I minimize a program it should go to the taskbar, however it does not appear on the bar. The only way to retrieve it is to use ALT+TAB combination. I have repaired the taskbar using taskbar repair plus, tweak 240 on kellys korner. Still the problem remains.

Thanks

Regards,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

Hi, Alan :thumbsup:.

Have you tried running sfc /scannow to check for missing system files?

Louis

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hi Louis,

Just finished the scan. I restarted the system but still the problems remain. Event viewer says the scan was completed and there are no indication of a problem in the event viewer yet the problem still remains.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

OK...although it may seem like overkill, then I would do a repair install, since there don't seem to be any real clues that something definitive could possibly correct the situation.

Louis

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

I was hoping to avoid that road if possible. It looks like thats going to be the best solution given the circumstances. Thanks for your help Louis. :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:04 AM

Problem solved!

Taskbar, I created a new user account where the taskbar worked, I then exported the reg keys over to my account and merged them.

Windows update. I noticed that another system on the network was unable to connect to the site. The router was the common link, looking at the settings revealed the MTU was set too high. I lowered it to 1400 and rebooted the router.

I'm now looking for the culprit. I believe that Rocket Dock damaged the registry keys for the taskbar and that I must have set an incorrect MTU value without realising it.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:55 PM

Way to be persistent :thumbsup:!

Louis

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85