Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BillGatesSweater

BillGatesSweater

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Evening folks

Any suggestions on this? Have browsed the forum and some of the external tips pages but can't see a solution.

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop running Vista Home Premium which keeps losing its wireless function. I use a Belkin router which has been fine, and our other Vista laptop and XP desktop all connect fine.

When I switch it on it doesn't find the network. I have to click the little 'double screen' icon, connect or disconnect, and all I see is the option to connect using my 3 dongle. Then I click the 'diagnose why Windows can't find any networks', and it has a little think, and says 'wireless capability is turned off'. I fix this, and then the laptop connects fine to the router without the need to enter the security key or anything, totally automatic.

How can I get it to do this every time I power up? I don't recall setting the 3 dongle as the automatic option for internet. I tried an option I saw elsewhere in the CMD function but to no avail.

Any any all suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Adam

PS- don't buy a Fujitsu Siemens laptop, they're not great, and the service from a certain store that sounds like it's named after a piece of rock flying through space is pants too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

I would start with updating Vista over a wired connection. Also, check for the latest software and drivers for your
3 dongle. Often time, updated software to fix connectivity issues. If we're talking about distance, that's another story.

Also, 3 dongle appear to have a number of issues.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

There's 2 steps here - 1 is to make sure that your wireless connection is turned on when the system boots up (it's off by default to save battery power). The software that you use to turn it on should have a setting to turn it on and leave it on.

Next, you'll have to locate your wireless connection and set it to Automatic - that way it'll recognize and connect to that wireless network when it sees it. Right click on the icon in the system tray and select "Connect to a Network". Then, select "Setup a connection or network", then select "Connect to the Internet" and follow the prompts after that to set the connection to Automatic (I don't have wireless here, so I can't take you all the way through the connection).

If you've already got the wireless connection, view your wireless network and select "Properties" by right clicking on it. That'll give you the option to set it up manually.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 BillGatesSweater

BillGatesSweater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:05 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I've just switched ISP, and the problem gets stranger. I have 2 laptops, both Fujitsu Siemens, one with Vista Home Basic and one with Vista Home Premium.

The ISP is BT, it's the BT Total Broadband Anywhere package, which comes with a VoIP phone and a mobile with wireless facility. The Vista basic laptop, handset and mobile all connect fine to the hub. This laptop I'm on now will see the hub but the signal is zero, it won't connect using the built in wireless adaptor.

It works with a cable, and I'm currently using a Belkin 802.11g USB dongle. I've checked the drivers on the Fujitsu Siemens website and apparently they're the most up to date. A technical advisor from BT helped me to configure the hub last night and connected to my screen via a Citrix server to look at the settings on the PC. She thought they were OK and said that there might be a problem with the adaptor. She also noticed that the PC was running at close to 100% CPU usage and 60/70% memory capacity. I'll attach task manager info with this message as a pdf of screen shots.

I haven't tried my desktop yet but as the Belkin dongle works OK on this laptop I'm hopeful that it will be fine on the PC.

As the retailer is close to useless, can anyone offer any info as to what I might try next, before I go and chuck this laptop through a grinder and scatter the debris around the shop? I'm just at a loss as to what to try next, something just doesn't seem right given that the laptop can see the hub but won't connect but I can't think what it is.

Thanks in advance-
Adam

Attached Files

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hello again.

First, stating that the CPU is close to 100% and memory is around 60 - 70 % doesn't help much without knowing why it's doing that. We'll worry about this after you respond to some of the following questions.

Are you using Security on your router?
If so, what type of security? WEP/WPA/WPA2?

Have you opened the properties of your wi-fi adapter from the Device Manager? Confirm that the settings
match that of the Access Point ( What you refer to as the "Hub")

Have you checked the Windows Event Log? What kind of errors are there in System? and Maybe in applications?
I'm looking for things related to your wireless primarily, but if you notice something odd, you may want to include it.

What's that Bullgaurd process that I seen running? Some type of Antivirus or Firewall?

Finally, have you run windows update recently?

#6 BillGatesSweater

BillGatesSweater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

Hi there

Thanks for replying.

The router (hub is what the ISP call it, sorry, same thing) is using WPA encryption. The codes are all correct, and the settings are correct too, as far as I can see.

I haven't looked in the Windows event log, not sure where this is sorry.

Bullguard is internet security, I found it uses less resources than Norton, and the licence covers all 3 of my machines.

Windows update runs automatically, I noticed 2-3 evenings ago as I was shutting the laptop off, there were updates to install when it was closing down.

Thanks again
Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users