Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Causing Bsod

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

I have a customer's computer and I've never come across this issue before: It boots up to a BSOD with a stop code 0x00000024. Everything I can find on the subject recommends running CHKDSK on the drive. My problem is that the drive causes a BSOD before I can run CHKDSK.
1. I can't boot into any Windows mode on his PC.
2. I tried using the UBCD to boot into Recovery console, NTFS for DOS, and into the UBCD itself but I always get the blue screen before it boots to a point that I can run CHKDSK.
3. (Just to prove to myself that it was the hard drive, I disconnected the hard drive and booted into the UBCD. It went into the Recovery console just fine.)
4. I removed the hard drive, put it into an external case, and connected it to my test PC. I turn the external case on, my PC detects the drive, shows what type of drive it is, then gets the same BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.
5. So, I tried one last thing: I hooked it up to his PC as a USB external and turned the drive on. Then, tried booting into the UBCD but I get the same BSOD every time.

No matter how I try to access this hard drive (whether as an external USB drive, a primary or a secondary internal drive) it gives a BSOD. From what I can find on this stop error, all I need to do is run CHKDSK and it will most likely correct the issue.

Anybody got any ideas as to how I can set this drive up to run CHKDSK on it, or is it now a 160 gig paper weight?
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

I would change the jumpers...and attach the drive directly to a known good system...and run chkdsk /r on it from that system.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:10 AM

Another possible problem associated with this error code are bad sectors, it might be worth downloading the manufacturers diagnostic tool and boot from it.

Another option would be to run a repair installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

I would change the jumpers...and attach the drive directly to a known good system...and run chkdsk /r on it from that system.

I had to change the jumper setting to put it in the external case. When it is attached to any other computer (whether internally or externally) that computer gets the blue screen of death.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:49 AM

Another possible problem associated with this error code are bad sectors, it might be worth downloading the manufacturers diagnostic tool and boot from it.

Another option would be to run a repair installation.

Thanks for drive diagnostics tool tip, DC3. I had not thought to do that.

Its a Seagate drive so I downloaded SeaTools for DOS and ran every test available (which are Short test, Long test, and Acoustic test). All passed. There was no option to run a chkdsk. I've tried running a recovery on it but the BSOD keeps rearing its ugly head before a recovery can even get started. I stuck the drive in another PC as a slave and that computer BSODs on boot up. I just tried booting that PC up on the UBCD. On the main menu, I went into NTFS for DOS and ran the Check disk utility. It pops up and shows me 4 drives (both hard drives have a recovery partition on them, so I see both main partitions and both recovery partitions). The drive I'm trying to test is listed as the D drive so I select the D drive to run the utility on and the system reboots. I let it boot up and go into that again and select the option to scan all drives. It runs CHKDSK on the C: E: and F: drives. Completely skips the D:
This is driving me NUTS!!! The only thing I can think of to do is use the SeaTools diagnostics FULL ERASE option to wipe out the drive and then try a full recovery using the Recovery CD that came with the computer.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

FWIW: Although running chkdsk /r is the basic fix recommendation for this error, I've found that I had to do the obliterate/clean install routine when I've encountered this NTFS.sys error.

Louis

#7 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED. I had to wipe the drive. The only way I could wipe it was to boot up on the SeaTools boot CD that I downloaded and burned and use the Full Erase option in the diagnostics. It wiped it clean and I was able to restore his system using the Recovery CD that came with it.
I've never seen a hard drive that had no physical problem (it passed every diagnostic test that Seagate's tools could throw at it) but would crash every computer it was plugged in to in any way (internally as primary or secondary, or externally thru USB). Plus, it would not even allow the system to boot up on a boot cd (UBCD or BartPE Boot CD).
I still have no idea what caused it though.

Thanks for the help

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

The problem is simple :thumbsup:, I think, if not pleasant.

The file system is the basis of userability on any system...a bare hard drive is of no use to anyone.

Hard drive diagnostics check the hard drive itself for defects.

Chkdsk /r checks the hard drive itself and the file system (NTFS) and files...but we could not use chkdsk since whatever was wrong with the NTFS (which lies upon the hard drive, between the drive and any functional use of the drive) was severe enough to BSOD when the drive was attached.

As I've said, I've found that the only way around a situation like this...is to obliterate everything that is on the fouled up NTFS...and start anew (partition/format/install).

Anyway...happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users