Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amazon.com To Stop Accepting Checks And Money Orders

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

I've always liked Amazon.com because they have been so solicitous of their customers. They ship stuff nearly right away and have fair return policies, etc.

But today I received an email stating they would no longer accept checks or money orders starting September 8. This isn't a problem for me, as I have a debit card. However, this might be a problem for other people who maybe don't feel good using a credit/debit card online. Amazon's acceptance of these older methods of payment allowed the fiscal holdouts to buy things without endangering their credit card information.

Starting next month, everyone will be forced to use the same method of payment. I feel like these companies are trying to force everyone to conform to what they want. Honestly, I think an envelope full of money should be acceptable payment!

Who's with me?!

What is this Internet you speak of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hi, I agree with you up to the point of sending large amounts of cash in the mail. That just isn't even safe. But especially after the news the other day..40-Million Credit Card Numbers Stolen, I feel we are all in jeopardy online.

In case someone is not aware of the story I mentioned...Feds crack largest U.S. identity theft
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

My take on it, I open a business it is my decision how to accept forms of payment. No one else's responsibility, because I have to deal with the transactions with my bank. You as a customer are free to utilize my service and conform to my methods of how I operate, or look elsewhere. No one is forcing you to come to my business. This is called free enterprise. If my choices affect my bottom line then who's fault is it. I've lost customers. I've lost revenue stream. No one to blame. But if you disagree with me you are free to find another vendor who will accept your form of payment. This is called a business transaction.

Poor customer service or just a change in operations policy initiated by unseen operations issues? Hard to judge in todays economy. Either way it's just a business transaction and both sides are not bound to play nice, and free to find other suitors.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

I sell on ebay and like 99 percent or more pay with paypal but I still say the option should be open for other payment forms.

#5 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

Would it be un-libertarian to require businesses to accept all forms of payment?

What is this Internet you speak of?

#6 PassedPawn

PassedPawn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:04 AM

I've always liked Amazon.com because they have been so solicitous of their customers. They ship stuff nearly right away and have fair return policies, etc.

But today I received an email stating they would no longer accept checks or money orders starting September 8. This isn't a problem for me, as I have a debit card. However, this might be a problem for other people who maybe don't feel good using a credit/debit card online. Amazon's acceptance of these older methods of payment allowed the fiscal holdouts to buy things without endangering their credit card information.

Starting next month, everyone will be forced to use the same method of payment. I feel like these companies are trying to force everyone to conform to what they want. Honestly, I think an envelope full of money should be acceptable payment!

Who's with me?!

No envelope full of money, otherwise I'm with you. Amazon likes being a sniveling weasel to the system and the banks probably pressured Amazon to get their customers to open or use existing bank accounts with Amazon (guess bank foreclosures are worse than the media is letting on). Why they would discontinue the acceptance of postal money orders is beyond me.

#7 tossy

tossy

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:56 AM

Well, I agree with you that sending large amounts using emails is not safe, nowadays there are many methods are available to for payments, hope everyone aware of this method... :thumbsup:

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:13 AM

Money Orders and even Bank Cashiers checks are being counterfeited in large numbers now.

Seems the only item merchants want around me is a valid Debit Bank Card - as they can verify the transfer immediately.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 PassedPawn

PassedPawn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

Money Orders and even Bank Cashiers checks are being counterfeited in large numbers now.

Seems the only item merchants want around me is a valid Debit Bank Card - as they can verify the transfer immediately.

Counterfeiting is a big pain in the butt, however postal money orders are considered pretty safe because of their security features and retailers like Amazon shouldn't stop accepting them because of problems with other, easier to counterfeit, payment methods.

Posted Image

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

Simple solution.
Prepaid debit cards.
You can buy them most everywhere.
Usually cost around $5, plus the amount of the card.
My credit union offers prepaid Visa cards for $1.
Only hitch is they are for specific amount.
Example-you purchase a $50 dollar card.
Use it a time or two, you may end up with a couple of bucks left to spend.
Then you gotta figure out what you can buy that comes close to that amount without going over.

#11 Poppy32174

Poppy32174

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

I think Amazon and others are moving towards Postal Money Orders, due to security reasons.

As far as, is this fair? ... it's fair for the company or businesses.

We as shoppers have to find, what's best for us.

Poppy
:thumbsup:
Welcome Home Brothers
Nam vet 6/67 ~ 6/68
D-1/22th 4th Inf. Div.

Posted Image

"No matter how dark it is, you can always see a light"
-Thearitic Logics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users