Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP-Service Pack 2 Annoyance

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:41 AM

Finally got around to installing XP/Home SP2. Decided to decline MS' kind offer to automatically update security stuff. Now it appears I must deal with a popup "warning" which appears on the desktop each time I log on, advising that Automatic Update is off and really should be on, for protection. Can I get rid of this "warning" popup---or would you recommend I allow automatic update to do its thing? (I already feel well-protected via Spybot, Spyware Doctor, Spyblaster, AdAware and AVG) :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Compfu Kid

Compfu Kid

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:53 AM

I suggest to always run these updates... The worms of last year like the Blaster worm for instance would not have affected users pcs if they would have been up to date on their MS updates. Most people who create these worms / viruses do so when MS announces a security patch. So if you let Windows auto-update you should be ahead of the game.

+ MS tests these updates extensively before sending them out to the real world.

Just remember that post SP2, all of the security updates will reset your security settings to high... this is because MS got tired of people saying their OS was unsecure. Now they turn their security up high and let you, the user, turn the security off.

Hiya!

Compfu Kid
Hiya!

Compfu Kid

#3 thebach

thebach

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

you can get rid of the warning box by going into the security center app, and under how it alerts you uncheck all 3 boxes

#4 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:50 PM

Thanks mucho, thebach....what a relief to get rid of that thing. What're your thoughts about Compfu Kid's advice to go ahead and let 'er run---the automatic update thing?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:14 PM

Those who do not run the automatic updates (which are primarily security oriented) are poor Internet citizens who allow the spread of viruses and trojans, many of which would be stopped or substantially restricted if all computers were mandated to be updated in a timely fashion thereby preventing their computers from being used as zombies.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:01 PM

Microsoft announces every Thursday of up and coming updates. They are released the next Tueday following. I guess thats the routine and has been the case for quite a while.

So, I update myself, personally. One less auto-startup to slow my boot down and be running all the time.

My citizenship status is OK that way, too.

I am updated, and also 6 other security programs are dealt with in basically the same way. I habitually begin each with a check for updates. I routinely do it at least once a week. A couple of those are "Beta" on my PC, changing for week to week. I check out programs to see if they work well in winXP pro SP2 (plus 14 updates since) alongside of others. Within reason, I don't actively pursue conflicts, either between the various applications and the OS, or online begging for trouble at known poor sites to visit. (generally speaking, at least). Enough conflicts find me easy enough.

I just don't like auto-updating to occur at random intervals and I refuse to calculate what would be a fairly complicated "scheduled tasks" load.. That in itself would be another auto-start.

To many times I've been interupted in some graphics program or surprised by a
seemlngly inexplicable shift in performance while doing a task online ... ultimately caused by either a suscessful auto-update, or one poorly timed and not working,
followed by a "warning dialog box".

SELF-UPDATING is a legitimate course of action.

Please keep in mind, freeeware often turns into shareware over that little social engineering point of opinion, too.
:thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 18 April 2005 - 11:07 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:40 PM

Phawggie, you have stated eloquently my own feelings about auto-updating. I too habitually update the five security programs, all recommended by and downloaded via this wonderful BC site, on an average of two/three times per week. So thanks, moderator, for ringing in and rescuing me from looming "poor internet citizen" status.

Sheeeeesh. :thumbsup:

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:47 PM

:thumbsup: , I always say each user is different. Different strokes for different folks.

the point is well taken to UPDATE, I'll say that 'til the cows comes in!!

wormy PCs just sound undesirable, don't they?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

....... So, I update myself, personally. One less auto-startup to slow my boot down and be running all the time.

My citizenship status is OK that way, too. ....... I habitually begin each with a check for updates. I routinely do it at least once a week. ....... I don't actively pursue conflicts, either between the various applications and the OS, or online begging for trouble at known poor sites to visit. (generally speaking, at least). Enough conflicts find me easy enough.

I just don't like auto-updating to occur at random intervals and I refuse to calculate what would be a fairly complicated "scheduled tasks" load.. That in itself would be another auto-start.

To many times I've been interupted in some graphics program or surprised by a
seemlngly inexplicable shift in performance while doing a task online ... ultimately caused by either a suscessful auto-update, or one poorly timed and not working,
followed by a "warning dialog box".

SELF-UPDATING is a legitimate course of action. .......

Totally agree!! :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users