Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floppy Disk..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:32 AM

This may not be the correct forum. But I was wondering if I could copy a program and run it off of a floppy. And then uninstall it from my computer. I have a Ancestry Family Tree program installed, and I feel that it takes up a lot of space. I realize that this may be a silly question, but I just had to ask. I have Windows ME. And if so how do I do it?

Edited by Scarlett, 15 February 2006 - 03:09 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:36 AM

Howdy Scarlett, Why yes you can save your program to a floppy but is it small enough? 2.4 mb/s or less? If it is not then you will have to save it to CD. But let say it is small enough to fit on a floppy, what your going to want to do is right click on the program itself and click send to, you will see a bunch of item's send just click to floppy drive! And the pc does the rest. Now it you don't want to accidentally erase it one day with something else you can move the little tab on the upper right hand side that way it wont be able be copied over. Also if it says you need to format the floppy what you need to do is stick the floppy in and open my computer and right click on Drive A and click format! Hope this helps nd I will move no worries. Have a good one

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:47 AM

Ok , Lets say it is not small enough. When right clicked, there is no choice for CD. How would I do that? And by the way thanks for all the help. And once again, when copied could the program be uninstalled? Sorry for repeating myself, but that is the main point of my copying it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 15 February 2006 - 03:09 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:10 AM

No problem, if it is to big you would have to shrink it small enough to fit on the floppy. And yes the program can be uninstalled if that's what you would like to do with it! And install it later. There is another option! You can unistall it and just leave the program on your computer, Just the .exe file. But it seems you want it to go to a floppy! Here is a program that should make it small enough! Do we know how big the file is?

http://www.stuffit.com/cgi-bin/stuffit_log...cgi?standardwin

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:32 PM

Also remember that programs tend to install files in other places on your computer other than the main directory for it. It is very common for files to be installed in the \windows directory. Therefore you may backup the main directory but miss important files that are stored elsewhere.

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

Srry that type was a little small for my aging eyes! Grinler is right. To answer your question ..No you will not be able to run it from a floppy. It has to be installed to run! Sorry about the jargan up above! And yes Grinler I am following you :thumbsup: But yes by all mean unistall it! And when you need it reinstall it!

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 12:46 PM

Thanks guys, I guesss ll leave it be.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users