Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Does It Really Need To Be ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 skycom

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:51 AM

I cannot believe how so many users, and i speak of those who are not new but already experienced run-ins with ad/spyware, that keep falling back into the same old traps as before. Forums are loaded with these users. After my first run-in, i downloaded not IE-Spyad, Spywareblaster, and all the others out there, but only one Ad/Spyware detector and one FIREWALL & adjusted Cookie settings in IE6, then added a little POPUP Popper BHO, and i havent had a problem with any of that since. I even tested out going to Rogue Sites and emrged without a scratch. WHAT ARE THEY DOING WRONG? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:09 PM

You are absolutely right. I have been using Internet Explorer up until about 3-4 months ago when I switched to Firefox and never had a problem. Yeah I had some tracking cookies, but I did not really care about it.

It is all about setting your Internet Explorer security settings correctly and staying up to date with patches. Firewalls really do not even play an important role in preventing spyware/hijackers as they are mostly received via an installed program or downloaded through a website.

#3 Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:11 PM

It is just a matter of odds. But the better the layers of protection the less chance there is of getting hit.

Personally got hit by a trojan, in spite of a ZA & AVG. Have added a trojan scanner. By the way, mind naming your products?

On the other hand have never received any spam mail. In spite of maintaining half a dozen email accounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users