Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Images (multiple Browsers)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_115

Mike_115

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

I had a computer become infected with some malware, and spam viruses, I don't know what all of them where but I'll list a couple. smitfraud-c.gp and virtumonde.dll where the two that where hardest to remove. I got everything cleaned up but now websites have broken images. This happens with all sites that I've tried. I upgraded from IE 6 to 7 and tried Firefox, and get the same results. Anyone have similar experiences, or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_115

Mike_115
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:09 AM

Well, doesn't look like it makes sense to anyone else either. I'll post what I found out in case it helps anyone else later on. I can't figure out what could possibly be the problem, but booting from the XP CD and running the repair doesn't fix it. The problem seems to be limited to profiles that where logged in to while the system was infected. So I logged into an account that hadn't been accessed during that time and deleted the profiles (just the data for the profile, not the user from Active Directory / Computer Management) that had the problem. I also copied the good profile over the default user, but I don't know if that step was necessary. When the user logs back in their profile is re-created from the default user, and doesn't have the problem. Make sure you backup the My Documents, Desktop, Favorites, and email from the profiles you delete, so you can restore them after the profile is re-created.

Hope that helps someone in the future

Mike

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hello Mike_115,

How did you remove the malware? it is possible that it still remains on the system.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 Mike_115

Mike_115
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

I'm pretty sure it's completely gone, all the scans come up clean now. I used a combination of Spybot S&D Ad-Aware and a Combo Fix, or something like that from this site. Plus msconfig to disable a startup item that was re-creating some registry entries on each startup. But it must have corrupted something in the profile while it was still infected.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

It sounds like the removal of the infection has damaged an important file or the infection or part of it remains.

I would advise following this guide http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ to make sure that the system is 100% clean.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users