Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Firewall Is Better?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:59 AM

I currently use Comodo.

Is ZoneAlarm better?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:58 AM

I personally think Zone Alarm is better.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

Both provide the same basic functionality. Which is better then depends upon which is easier for you to use, and which integrates best with your computer's configuration.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:57 AM

Choosing a firewall is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability/experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular firewall that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:06 AM

Well, 'bests' are always a difficult subject. Similar to what jgweed and quietman7 stated, part of the equation is usability and compatibility with your system. Some people don't like Comodo because it can produce a good number of popups, especially when not configured well. Personally, I used ZoneAlarm Free for a long time on several computers and didn't switch until the logon popup trying to get me to buy the paid version got really old. I also wanted to try Comodo because I had heard very good things about it. I'm glad I did because I think it's an excellent product and have used it since. It gives the best descriptions of what is going on that I've seen, can be configured a lot, but can also be used effectively without a lot of user configurations (if you don't mind the popups or else maybe disable Defense+). I could go on, but as you already use Comodo, I'm sure you have some of your own opinions about it. A good resource to go to that will give you more information as far as the levels of protection offered is this site:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/
If you want a personal opinion, I think Comodo is the better of the two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users