Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Infected? What Can I Do?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 quetacat

quetacat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

I'm so lost. I have two desktop computers and a laptop. One is used only by my in-laws. Today, August 6th, around 8pm that desktop computer turned off while my father in law was playing a game(bejeweled, he bought the game, it wasn't downloaded). It would not turn back on. I had to unplug it for a few seconds, then plug in again. Only then would it restart. However, before it would finish loading windows Xp Home, it would turn off. Not shut down, but click off as if I were holding the power button. I tried restarting in safemode, it immediately clicked off. I tried several all other modes trying to get to the point of a system restore or debugging/windows control systems. However, it always clicked off. In one mode (I believe it was the windows controller mode) it would tell me there was some strange problem, a punch of c++ jargon I don't understand. It would give me 3 options. abort, retry, ignore. All 3 led to the computer clicking off. With retry it clicked off right away. Ignoring the box or clicking the other 2 options would make it click off anywhere from 10-15 seconds later. I just don't have enough time to do anything.

Please Help!

In time I hope to give more info(ie: the specific wording off the c++ jargon), but for now this is all I know.

Extra info: when the computer starts it goes through that whole check thing. Every time it runs it finds news things wrong and truncates them. Or it will say a volume size is incorrect. So many different files have been affected. Tons of Norton files, back-up files, system files, game files, system restore files, the list increases every time I try to turn on the computer. Hope this helps you help me.

I've checked the forums for about 2 hours now. I haven't found anything yet. Must sleep. Hope I hear something tomorrow. I know you are busy so I want to thank you all in advance for taking the time to look into this problem.

Edited by quetacat, 06 August 2008 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users