Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only Able To Connect One Specific Computer To Internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Patren

Patren

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Hi everyone. I'm having a very frustrating problem that I hope someone can help with.

First of all, everything worked awhile back.

Originally we had our modem connected to a wireless router and everything worked fine. Then we moved a desktop computer and connected the modem directly to that because we did not need to have wireless for a while. But we did nothing to change any of the settings for the modem. Now we need the wireless again. We hooked everything back up and nothing worked. We messed with that to try to get it to work, but nothing work. So instead we decided to just hook a laptop up to the modem, without the wireless router. Nothing. We have tried with three different laptops, two Vistas, one XP. The desktop computer is XP. Only the desktop can connect. We have had laptops connected directly to the modem before and it worked fine, but now it doesn't. The modem is a Scientifica Atlanta.

If anyone could give me advice, I would very much appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Behemoth

Behemoth

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

Hi everyone. I'm having a very frustrating problem that I hope someone can help with.

First of all, everything worked awhile back.

Originally we had our modem connected to a wireless router and everything worked fine. Then we moved a desktop computer and connected the modem directly to that because we did not need to have wireless for a while. But we did nothing to change any of the settings for the modem. Now we need the wireless again. We hooked everything back up and nothing worked. We messed with that to try to get it to work, but nothing work. So instead we decided to just hook a laptop up to the modem, without the wireless router. Nothing. We have tried with three different laptops, two Vistas, one XP. The desktop computer is XP. Only the desktop can connect. We have had laptops connected directly to the modem before and it worked fine, but now it doesn't. The modem is a Scientifica Atlanta.

If anyone could give me advice, I would very much appreciate it.

If the desktop is the only one that can connect to the internet through that modem, and it was the last one connected to that modem, the modem may still be retaining the desktop's MAC address. I would recommend unplugging the power cable from the back of the modem for 25-30 minutes to let the modem release the address and refresh itself. After that plug the wireless into the modem and power the modem back up. Hope this helps.

Edited by Behemoth, 06 August 2008 - 09:50 PM.

A+, Net+, MCP 270, 290

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

Any luck? :thumbsup:
A+, Net+, MCP 270, 290

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users