Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Only Works Through Headphones.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tsula

Tsula

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

I have a Gateway laptop with onboard audio. One day the system froze and I had to just shut it off without properly shutting it down because it froze in the middle of a game and wouldn't correct itself after a little while. Upon rebooting, the sound never worked, not even system sounds. I threw on my headphones and the sound worked (USB headphones FYI). I really don't feel like wearing my headphones all the time, but upon checking to see if the sound driver corrupted, found nothing wrong with it. Any ideas? Thankies =3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

It could be that even though the sound card has the drivers (which I would recommend that you try and update), the speakers themselves are not detected by the computer. Your best bet would be to try and download a new set of sound card drivers, uninstall the one you have and then install the new one.

If that doesn't work, perhaps you could try a repair of the windows XP installation (so not a clean install) so you don't lose any of your files.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

<<...but upon checking to see if the sound driver corrupted, found nothing wrong with it. >>

Well...I don't know of a way to check for file corruption in any function (other than system files)...so I'm curious as to how you did that.

The only files that I know of which allow a check of any sorts...are the Windows system files. The rest of the time it's nothing but a guessing game, since file corruption in any other file normally yields no error message or sign that something is amiss.

I think I'd remove the current drivers...then reinstall same.

From what I read and "understand", USB headphones don't rely on the sound card/chip inherent in the system. So any output you receive via such does not eliminate/affirm a problem with your drivers for your sound card/chip.

Louis

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

Most laptops have a set of keys that work with the function key (fn) to raise volume, lower it, or mute. Whether this affects the headphones, I'm not sure, but i'd try playing with the keys just to be sure. Look for a little blue speaker imprint on the sound keys.

#5 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:20 PM

sounds like drivers, becauce you said USB headphones work. Just use device manager and install some new drivers. Or google the name, and install them off the offical website.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users