Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions Questions Questions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 huiaheron

huiaheron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hi,have posted in the XP forum,without much result,so hope it is OK to try here
I'm not a complete newbie but a recent scare after a couple of trojan infections have left me with quite a few queries.My main problem was being unable to access Windows updates,and Sun Java updates,get to the page and they failed.Scans showed two trojan infections were removed,but I would still like to know.
What is the normal way to access Windows updates through Firefox?The link I was using takes me through IE7,and I have to accept various scripts,and other things to run,have high level of security on ActiveX,and scripts,but have no idea specifically what these are trying to install.
Do any temp,tmp,temp internet files need to stay,had tons,some of which could not be removed.
Have js files in my saved documents,where I normally keep all my log files,definitely didn,t save them there,anything to worry about?
Ran Autoruns,after checking out the Startup section of this site,have 3 services that are just numbers,still haven,t been able to identify,what is next step?
Lots of corrupted cab files in one scan,is this serious?
What is the significance of programs connecting to high numbered UDP ports,(Or is this a stupid question!?)
Another scan shows hidden registry entries
And SuperAntispyware showed weird cookies,that do not show up in tmy normal Firefox cookie list
Computer seems to be running OK at the moment,but am keen to prevent future issues and learn more
I am running XP pro,SP2.have the CD to update to SP3,but was waiting until problems were fixed,would you try it now?
Hope this is not too much to ask,all at once,all the best

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users