Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Hangs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shoot

shoot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

Since i've finally got rid of a trojan preventing me from using windows update, I still can't use it. My problem is, that whenever I choose the Express or Custom options in windows update I can't get past the "scanning for updates for your computer" part.
Any help would be great, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

I would be inclined to try a clean out first.

In IE, Tools/Internet Options/Browsing History, clear Temp Int Files and cookies.

Control Panel/Java, clear the Java cache.

Control Panel/Add-Remove, check you have the latest Java 6 Update 7, and delete all others.

If these don't work, go to My Computer>C:>Windows, and delete the folder 'SoftwareDistribution'. You should now be able to start from scratch with Updates. Make sure you get the Custom ones as well.

Let's know how you get on.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 shoot

shoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

When I try to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder I get an error that says " Cannot delete ReportingEvents.log: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

Try opening up the folder and deleting individual items, or a program called UNLOCKER.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:10 AM

Just a little reminder, make sure your Automatic Updates is turned off. When I had mine on it tied up the Update site and I never did get past the scan. With it off I was back to normal. After I got all the updates I needed I turned it back on just to notify me.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 shoot

shoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

I've tried deleting manually and turning off automatic updates. No luck.

#7 yorkmills

yorkmills

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

I'm having the same problem as "shoot". I've tried everything that "Rowal5555" has suggested. Although I've learned a lot from "Rowal5555" and his technical tips and help, Microsoft still won't let me update my Windows XP.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

Marc Liron has a number of articles on update problems here

http://www.updatexp.com/

[Another thing to check is outlined at MS

How to troubleshoot failed updates for Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office
To troubleshoot a failed update, use one of the following methods. The first method is intended for a general audience, including beginning users. The other methods are intended for more advanced users. 

Search for the installation error code in the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Step 1: Locate the installation error code

First, we will ask you to locate the installation error code that your computer recorded when the installation failed. To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update or Microsoft Update.
b. On the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site, click Review your update history. A window opens that shows all the updates that have been installed or that have failed to install on the computer.
c. In the Status column of this window, locate the update that failed to install, and then click the red X.
A new window opens that displays the installation error code.
d. Note the error number. You will have to type or paste the error number in a search box in the next step. 

Note If you would rather send your issue to a support professional and have a possible solution send to your e-mail address instead of troubleshooting this issue yourself, click Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no cost for issues related to getting updates) in the open window that contains the installation error code. In the issue report that you will be asked to send, make sure that you mention the installation error code that you noted in step “d.”]

MicroSoft do not charge for update problems, so you could find the free phone number for your area and give them a ring.

Sorry, I've run out of ideas. Other members may have more.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users