Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need To Install Xp In My Linux Laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rhbj03

rhbj03

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:29 PM

I accidentally bought a ThinkPad T61 with Linux OS. Although I'd like to learn Linux, I need to have Windows to do my work asap. I need to either 1) Install Windows side by side with Linux, or 2) wipe out Linux and install Windows.

When I put the Windows XP disk in, installation started the way it should be, then an edit says no harddisk is found. Installation is terminated there.

What can I do to install my Windows XP into this new Linux machine? Thanks for your help.

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:52 PM

Windows by itself (default install routine) won't read the Linux formatted drives - ext3, probably. The quickest and easiest thing for you to do is just to allow Windows to make and or format your existing partitions. I'll let someone else castigate you for thinking that you need Windows to get your work done ;) I dunno, maybe you need specific software...

Later, when you're not in a panic, put LInux back on next to Windows in another partition. Do yourself a favor and only make 2 partitions for Windows:

The first being 15Gb and the second being 3Gb. After you've installed WIndows to the first partition, go change the pagefile to 0 on the C:/ partition and move it to the D:\ partition. It'll swing better.

#3 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:58 PM

Windows can't see Linux partitions. This is most likely why Windows doesn't recognize the HD. However, the Windows installer SHOULD give you the option to wipe the disk clean and do a fresh install of Windows using the entire disc. This will however wipe your Linux install. If the Windows installer cannot do this, an older Windows disk with fdisk should allow. Also, most any Linux installer should allow you to wipe and reformat the HD using FAT partitions.

There are ways to dual boot with Linux installed first but it requires some knowledge. Better to install Windows first then Linux.

If you are BRAND NEW to Linux and need Windows in a hurry I would suggest wiping the HD clean, install Windows using the whole HD, and then if you want to learn Linux, get a free Linux LiveCD (which runs off the disc and doesn't touch your HD) and run that on your Tpad. ( remember that it will run slowly because it has to be decompressed on the fly). If you want to INSTALL Linux, buy a used Plll from your local thrift shop ($50 or less) and use that to learn. this will protect your Windows install from any "operator errors".

Dual booting is easy and effective but requires a learning curve ( how to partition) for the brand new user, something you may not have time for right now.

good luck

Edited by Trio3b, 06 August 2008 - 08:05 PM.

#4 rhbj03

rhbj03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:04 AM

Thank you both. Can you explain how I can wipe my hard disk clean? In the past the installation process has a page asking whether I want to install in a separate partition or reformat the harddisk. This time there is no such choice, just that harddisk cannot be found. So I'm kind of stuck at that stage...

Windows can't see Linux partitions. This is most likely why Windows doesn't recognize the HD. However, the Windows installer SHOULD give you the option to wipe the disk clean and do a fresh install of Windows using the entire disc. This will however wipe your Linux install. If the Windows installer cannot do this, an older Windows disk with fdisk should allow. Also, most any Linux installer should allow you to wipe and reformat the HD using FAT partitions.

There are ways to dual boot with Linux installed first but it requires some knowledge. Better to install Windows first then Linux.

If you are BRAND NEW to Linux and need Windows in a hurry I would suggest wiping the HD clean, install Windows using the whole HD, and then if you want to learn Linux, get a free Linux LiveCD (which runs off the disc and doesn't touch your HD) and run that on your Tpad. ( remember that it will run slowly because it has to be decompressed on the fly). If you want to INSTALL Linux, buy a used Plll from your local thrift shop ($50 or less) and use that to learn. this will protect your Windows install from any "operator errors".

Dual booting is easy and effective but requires a learning curve ( how to partition) for the brand new user, something you may not have time for right now.

good luck

#5 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

If the Windows install disc cannot see your hard drive at all, go into your BIOS and check your hard drive out. Maybe it's fubar'd, too. Who knows?

I'd download the system rescue disc, boot to it, run gtparted and have at it. You can nuke what you've got very easily, then make a few NTFS partitions.

Edited by machiner, 07 August 2008 - 07:56 AM.

#6 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:15 PM

If this lappy has SATA hard drive then Wxp may not have the drivers and you will need to load them via floppy or some other way when Windows installer asks for third party HD drivers. Also check compatibility mode. Just a suggestion as I have not installed Wxp in quite a while.

Check here.

Good Luck

Edited by Trio3b, 08 August 2008 - 11:22 PM.

#7 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:30 PM

Will the suggestions here apply to Win2K Pro?

#8 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:56 PM

Barring Windows driver issues, yes.

As mentioned, use a system rescue disk or any other Linux LiveCD to reformat and repartition to give you a fresh FAT or NTFS disk to install Windows.

Edited by Trio3b, 09 August 2008 - 05:18 PM.

#9 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

So......where we at in this endeavor?

#10 ioreku

ioreku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

I had the same problem installing windows xp on my laptop as well (its a compaq presario, not sure if this applies to your laptop). I'm pretty sure your problem is windows xp not having the SATA drivers, as Trio3b mentioned. I fixed this problem by going into the BIOS and disabling native SATA support. However... I would recommend installing win xp first then linux, as windows xp's bootloader completely overwrites whatever bootloader you had before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users