Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Professional Setup Problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

When I attempt to reinstall Windows XP, setup says that it did not detect any hard drives on the computer.

But my hard drives are working well! They're not damaged and Windows XP is already installed on the computer!

I tried going to Microsoft's Help and Support but I didn't find anything there that helped me.

Please help!

Note: Please don't ask why I'm reinstalling Windows XP :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:54 PM

This usually occurs when the XP installer doesn't recognise SATA hard drives. If the drives in your system are SATA, you'll need to source the correct SATA drivers for the controller on the motherboard, and have them available on a floppy disk when the installer says to press F6 if you want to install third party drivers. Or you can create a slipstream installer CD with the SATA drivers included, using a slipstreaming utility such as nLite.

If your system drive is not SATA, please provide details of your system hardware so we can try to identify another possible cause.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

Well...if your boot order points to something other than your hard drive as your first option, that could be the reason.

The first thing I would check is whether the BIOS properly reflects the hard drive.

Second...boot options.

Third...connections.

This may be useful: http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall....dexfullpage.htm

Louis

#4 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

Platypus, how do I find out if my hard drive is SATA?

hamluis, what do you mean about connections? Is it about the hard drive connected to the computer? It's connected and working.

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

:thumbsup: I think it's SCSI not SATA.

Manufacturer: Seagate
Model: ST336607LW
Interface: SCSI
Cache: 8 MB
Capacity: 36.7 MB

If you need more info, please reply!

#6 ahola

ahola

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

This usually occurs when the XP installer doesn't recognise SATA hard drives. If the drives in your system are SATA, you'll need to source the correct SATA drivers for the controller on the motherboard, and have them available on a floppy disk when the installer says to press F6 if you want to install third party drivers. Or you can create a slipstream installer CD with the SATA drivers included, using a slipstreaming utility such as nLite.

If your system drive is not SATA, please provide details of your system hardware so we can try to identify another possible cause.

Just as Playtpus said in regards to using F6 on install. You could do a slipstream CD, but it would be easier if you could download the driver for your SCSI controller and put it on a floppy. Then you can use the F6 option on install. There is an IBM USB floppy drive that I knows works most of the time when using the F6 option. I believe that there are some USB floppy drives that are recognized when using the F6 option and inserting the floppy drive. Did the SCSI controller come with the computer you purchased or was added later?

#7 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

Did the SCSI controller come with the computer you purchased or was added later?

:thumbsup: What's an SCSI controller? Is it the same as a driver?

Edited by Lloyd T, 06 August 2008 - 07:48 PM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

The SCSI controller is the interface (either on the motherboard or a plug-in card) that provides the SCSI port for the hard drive to connect to. The required driver tells Windows how that controller works.

If the flat data cable from the hard drive goes to an interface directly on the motherboard, we need to know the brand and model of the motherboard, or if the system is a brandname like HP or IBM, the full model number of the system.

If the cable goes to a board plugged into the motherboard, probably in a PCI slot, then we'll need to know the brand and model number of that card. If there is still a functioning Windows on the system, you'll find the SCSI controller listed in the Device Manager.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 ahola

ahola

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

The SCSI controller is the interface (either on the motherboard or a plug-in card) that provides the SCSI port for the hard drive to connect to. The required driver tells Windows how that controller works.

If the flat data cable from the hard drive goes to an interface directly on the motherboard, we need to know the brand and model of the motherboard, or if the system is a brandname like HP or IBM, the full model number of the system.

If the cable goes to a board plugged into the motherboard, probably in a PCI slot, then we'll need to know the brand and model number of that card. If there is still a functioning Windows on the system, you'll find the SCSI controller listed in the Device Manager.

Thanks Platypus for the great explanation :thumbsup:. Once we do get the info specified by Platypus we can move forward in getting the driver and then possibly putting it on a floppy and using that driver to help us recognize the hard drive so you may reinstalll Windows. Do you have a Floppy drive in your PC?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:40 PM

It might be worthwhile...to take a look in the BIOS at the drive recognition and boot options...before attempting something that may not be necessary...IMO.

Louis

#11 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

There's still a functioning Windows XP in the computer. How do I find out the SCSI controller using the Device Manager?

Do you have a Floppy drive in your PC?

Yes, I do. Not external or USB.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

Device Manager Basics - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...-manager-basics

Louis

#13 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

SCSI Controller: Adaptec AIC-7902 - Ultra320 SCSI

#14 ahola

ahola

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

Now that we know the driver you can download it and put the driver on a floppy. When you boot from the Windows XP install disc it will give you an option to press F6 to install additional drivers. Press F6 on your keyboard and then insert the floppy disc in your PC. From there just follow the on screen instructions. Best of luck

#15 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

Should I download normal, Host-RAID, or both?

Link to download site:

http://www.uniwide.com/support/driver_download.html

Edited by Lloyd T, 08 August 2008 - 06:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users