Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~~my Desktop Pc Randomly Shuts Off-its Frustrating!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

Hi, Lets outrule malware. I think its not that.
My desktop pc randomly shuts itself off. If i manually restart it, It will start and maybe finish loading up the programs but then shut off again at any given time. Its been doing this on and off for months now.

I was reading another post about looking in the "event log" or something to see what error it shows. Or is there another way to tell. Maybe a file is missing or corupted. Of course it could be a mechanical error as well.

Windows XP Home edition, sp2-Dell dimension desktop-Internet explorer 7-up to date on virus definitions and security tools.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. Next time your computer crashes copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Does the computer completely shuts itself off or does it reboot? If you have a spare power supply you can try replacing that and see if the problem disappears.

#4 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

Hi,
Dr Manhattan= THe computer always completely shuts itself off. It will not reboot on its own; i must manually restart it. I dont have an extra power supply that i can switch over.

Budapest= As far as what you suggested,

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting,

........it was already UNCHECKED. SO I did not have to do anything in that area.
Still, the pc shuts off without warning and it will not restart unless I push the power button back on again. SO, how can I see any logs if the pc doesnt stay on. THe first boot up this morning stayed on for 30 minutes. other attemps are like 3-5 minutes if that.

Very few times this has happend: after me restarting the pc, I have seen that the black screen with white letters shows- THis screen asks you if you want to start windows normally or in safe mode or last known configuration, etc. and it says lots of other things. It doesnt matter which one I pick, the pc will still turn off at any given time.

ANything else I can try if i happen to have a longer pc-on session soon??
Thank you for your time

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

so in other words, it randomly shuts off without any error warning of any sort? That would be likely overheating, if that's the case
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:41 PM

Garmanma & others,
Yes, it randomly has been shutting itself off. No blue screen of death. No warning that it is gonna shut off. Today, it managed to stay on for like 40 minutes. Then it shut off. I restarted it a few times and it stays on for 3 minutes or a bit more.
As stated earlier, I dont get error messages or anything. YOu say overheating? or like Dr _Manhattan said maybe I can switch a power supply to test it.

I have the exact same Dell at home (same year, same everything pretty much) that barely gets used. How much work would i be looking at if I took power supply out of that Dell and put it in the "bad" Dell. I have NO experience whatso ever doing mechanical things to pc's. any easy to read tips for a novice?

Lets suppose I do need a pwer source. Are they pretty universal?
thanks for all your answers

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

Cleaning PC interior:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l118.html

Power supply
The purpose of this procedure is to bypass the motherboard to test the PSU.

Caution:
This procedure will involve working with live 12VDC electrical potentials which if handled improperly may lead to electrical shock. Proper precautions should also be taken to prevent electrostatic discharges (ESDs) within the case of the computer. For safety purposes please follow the instructions step by step.

First, shutdown your computer. Then unplug the power cable going into your computer.

Once you have opened the case, touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

The connector of the PSU which connects to the motherboard is readily recognizable by the number of wires in the bundle. To disconnect it you will need to press on the plastic clip to disengage it and then pull the connector up and away from the motherboard. Please take notice of the location of the locking tab and the notch on the socket of the motherboard, this will only connect one way as it is keyed. This wire bundle will have a memory of the way it has been installed and will want to bend back that direction, you may have to play around with it to find a position that the connector will stay in the same position while you run the test.

Edited by garmanma, 08 August 2008 - 06:58 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users