Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Need To Backup D:?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

my computer is a compaq presario with xpsp3 and 256 ram.
i used driveimage xml to create a backup image of my hard drive C:. do i also need to make a backup of my hard drive D:? i thought the D drive was specifically to make a "one time" copy of recovery CDs, and once that is done (i've already made the recovery CDs), it is no longer of any use, and basically wasted space.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

Normally you cannot access the Recovery Partition, which is what I think you are referring to. If you can access the D: drive and see files and can save as well, it is NOT your recovery partition, it's just another drive. Which, if you have data on it, should get backed up in some way.

Making an image is usually easy as well as quick. I have restored a HD that died in less than 30 minutes. :thumbsup:

You can check under Disk Management as well, to see what kind of partition your D: is.
Right Click My Computer, Left click Manage.
Under Storage, there is Disk Management.

Hope this helps. :flowers:

DR

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

I suspect, unless things have changed with Presarios, that the D: drive contains a copy of the OS and applications that came with the computer, and serves as a "factory restore" file if you need it. Personally, I would rather be safe than sorry, and keep it as it is, since you cannot have too many backup resources.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:46 PM

rigacci,
attached is a screenshot.
this is what i get when i click; my computer>D: i don't know why it didn't occur to me to try this. maybe because i have been burning disks all day.

jgweed (John),
how are you? well i hope.
it would be nice to delete that info, but i don't have any plans for the space right now anyway, and i am gifted with a healthy dose of cowardess. you have sold me. if you could check out my screenshot below and offer your expertise, would be welcomed as always.

thanks for the replies.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users