Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Should Be On The Host File?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ALICE815

ALICE815

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

After about a week I noticed that the only automatic virus/spyware/whatever protector AVG was no longer in auto mode. So I updated it and ran it. Since it takes forever to complete, I walked away. When I came back, on my screen was an message stating that a list of 14 file names would be added to my host file. And do I want to edit it. I said ok, of course, and deleted the files that they had listed, but there were over 400 file names, most did not look like any place I would go. (if that's even why the file names are there.) It would be handy to be able to look somewhere to see what a standard host file list is, and if it holds the names of the internet sites you have, or do visit, then mine should be a lot bigger and the names should be different.
Anyway, the list of names that it showed in the message were www.80-music and 80-music, 82211.net, 8866.org, www.8ad.com, there were more with (numbers).com and one had numbers with searchbox.com following, the rest were, www.abestmanage.org, aaabesthomepage.com and the last was aaasexypics.com.

My operating system is (slow beyond belief) Microsoft windows XP Professional with service pack 3 and the AuthenticAMD processor. It says on the tower that it is the media center TV PC, ya right! If it is, it does not work. And I have had the media center in a computer that was not an HP, and it worked great. So I know its not that I need better reception. I am convinced that HP is in the "how to make people buy a new computer every other year" business. AKA how to make junk! Something many companys seek to perfect! Although I growl about HP I fully support their business, because I KEEP BUYING THEM!!!! (AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

Also, on the host file, why are the names listed twice, once with www. and once without? Maybe they are different sites. This is not a “got to know‚" issue, just curious.

Just an FYI, although my computer say's it has the magic restore program, somehow mine is linked to an empty file. I do not know what this means or how it got that way or if it could be easy to fix or just the tip of the mountain. So whatever I do I cannot restore it. (You may be able to restore it, but if you plan on walking me through it...plan on very small baby steps.) You can click on the restore program and it will go through the motions, if I recall right, it even shuts down and restarts itself, but states that nothing has been changed. I took it for repair for a different problem, and ask them about the restore problem. They found that it was connected to an empty file, but didn't fix it. (it was a complimentary service, and they were backed up) Without the restore button, it tends to make most folks not so eager to advise from a shallow pool of expertise. So its always a good thing to mention.

This is my first time to a list like this, and I am very grateful for it, and for the help of the folks that take the time out of their day and life to help folks like me (by that I mean people that would find great stress relief in dropping their computer out of a 30 story building....several times.) The reason I mention that this is my first time, is, besides rambling on and on, I have probably done something else not correct, so please let me know...nicely would be great. Thanks

My email is XXXXXXXX@XXXXXXXXX.NET since I have no idea if you e-mail your response or I have to look up the responses on this site....should probably find that out.

Edit: Email address removed to prevent more spam than you thought could exist, from spambots. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

Suggested reading:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/hosts-files-explained/

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=956

http://www.logicaltips.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=506

Louis