Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msconfig

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DHL

DHL

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:18 AM

Recently have had problems with items in my msconfig. For example I untick an item but upon restart the same will appear as ticked. The unticked item is usually one which I do not recognize and even if it is I do not want it to run uon startup.
Can someone explain to me why even though unticked they reappear and is there a way where I can get rid of such items in the msconfig altogether. I assume that when one uses or installs something new the programme in question puts it automatically into the msconfig.
All suggestions welcome and possible reasons as to why this happens.
There have also been instances where in particular my AVG programme even though it is set to activate on startup it does not show up on my task bar. When that happens I reinstall it and then it is OK but for some unknown reason during the course if I ever have to restart PC it disappears in the task bar.
Hopefully someone can enlighten me as to a possible solution.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:29 AM

Can you give us some examples of filenames that are coming back? Also what version of windows are you?

#3 DHL

DHL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:15 AM

Can you give us some examples of filenames that are coming back? Also what version of windows are you?

I use WIn XP PRO SP2 and hopefully what I am sending in regards to example of file name is concerned makes sense. These are the ones that occur very frequently.

Located: HK_LM:Run, AWMON (DISABLED)
command: "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe"
file: C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe
size: 538112
MD5: ed7f4140bc9f05781355c2a36d0ad37c

Located: HK_LM:Run, ccApp (DISABLED)
command: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
size: 58992
MD5: 84ec0b55bcbe872f999acdce58e3f67d

unquote

Even though they currently show as being disabled they very often reappear at some stage.
Just noticed that upon checking msconfig once again, it is showing up as normal startup as opposed to selective startup. I then click selective mode and only the items which I would like to have there are showing. How it changed to normal startup mode is beyond me.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:29 AM

Why do you want to disable those? Both of those are needed to run to help protect your computer.

#5 DHL

DHL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:54 AM

Why do you want to disable those? Both of those are needed to run to help protect your computer.

Your comments appreciated but the one that concerns me most is that involving Symantec. I no longer run any symantec products. Previously I had Norton Internet Security where NAV was a part but I uninstalled it. It seems that there are files still hanging around from that product. Could that be the case ??
Where AWMON is concerned I usually activate it from within ADAWARE

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:25 PM

Ok lets tackle the symantec service first.

Click on start then run and type regedit and press the OK button. Then navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Right click on ccapp and delete it. Reboot and see if its msconfig still

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users