Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

I've got a problem with a computer here at the office, and neither me nor the other IT guys can figure it out. My boss uses outlook 2007 now, but it also happened in 2003 yesterday before I upgraded him. Whenever he tries to open an attachment directly without saving it first, outlook hangs for about 2-3 minutes before opening the respective program.

03 had an additional problem, whenever he would try to open anything through office, excel, word, power point, it would hang for 2-3 minutes before finally opening. It even sometimes caused explorer to crash, and I had to restart it via task manager.

The latter problem was fixed by upgrading to 07, and when I did, all seemed fine until this morning. The attachment problem came back, so I wiped office completely, cleaned the registry of any remaining keys that may have been left behind, and it still comes back.

I've given him the temporary solution of saving the file first, and then opening it. That works fine.

Its not an anti-virus program, as there is none on the computer, I've cleaned the temp files, used Ccleaner to clean the computer up, and it still happens. I'm completely stumped. Anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

Did you read this forum?
http://forums.techguy.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, I just did. But the old problem returned, now it hangs whenever I try to do anything office related. I've uninstalled 07, and am going back to 03 after a chkdsk for consistency. Make sure there are no bad clusters/sectors.

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

Long story short, the hard drive is going bad. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users