Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes, Programs Unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 zville123

zville123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hi! I'm very much a newbie when it comes to technical computer stuff, so please bear with me :thumbsup: . I 1st went to malwareremoval.com because I thought I had some type of spyware or something. A tech walked me thru a check and said I was clean. Here's what the tech said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no malware that would be causing your problem. I suspect there may be a problem with your Hard Drive
Quote:
Event Record #/Type21564 / Error
Event Submitted/Written: 08/03/2008 07:46:39 PM
Event ID/Source: 9 / iastor
Event Description:
The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Event Record #/Type21563 / Warning
Event Submitted/Written: 08/03/2008 07:46:39 PM
Event ID/Source: 51 / Disk
Event Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

Unfortunately you are now outside my area of knowledge, so I'm going to have to recommend that you visit one of the tech forums for assistance.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html

All the forums above have good support for software/OS problems, and I'm sure they will be able to help.

When you start your thread, explain what the problem is and let them know that you have been checked for malware.
Give them the following link, so they can see the logs if needed
Code:
http://malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic....=11&t=33124
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is? After much thought, I realized these problems started after I started using CCleaner. Maybe I screwed something up by using it? I'm just guessing here. :flowers:

Edited by zville123, 06 August 2008 - 02:35 PM.

Thank You,

~ Denise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:30 PM

Hi,

May I ask when does the computer freeze on you? When you are playing a game? Just surfing the web? etc.etc.

Have you installed any softwares recently? I recommend scanning the hard-drive to see if the HD is defective. You can go to the manufacturer's website of the hard-drive, download the diagnostics utility, put the program onto a CD, and then boot the computer to the diagnostics CD that you made.

Then follow the on-screen instructions and test the HD for any errors. I also recommend backing up your files when you can.

#3 zville123

zville123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

I don't usually play games on my computer. Most of what I do is surf the web and the freezing will happen at that time. But I've had it happen with other programs as well. I don't know what this might mean, but I had a few days where when I started Firefox, all my addons & themes where gone. I've also been unable to save new book marks. I have uninstalled & reinstalled and have same problems. So, not sure if it's my computer or something with Firefox. The recent downloaded programs are the aforementioned CCleaner. And I also tried Vuze for a few days but couldn't get it to work. I was told to remove it as it opened my computer to security risks. My computer is a Dell XPS so I'll check out their website and see if I can find the diagnostic utility described. :thumbsup:
Thank You,

~ Denise

#4 zville123

zville123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

I used the Dell PC Checkup (in the Dell Support Center). Someone will have to let me know if this is reliable. The scan showed nothing wrong, not even with the hard drive. I had run this last week but double checked it today. Is there something else that I should use to see if I messed up my OS, hard drive, etc? :thumbsup:
Thank You,

~ Denise

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

The Dell support tools are, IMO, fairly reliable and the results can usually be trusted.

The errors that you are experiencing are from:
1) the drivers for your motherboard controller that controls your hard drive
2) an error that occurred while paging data in/out of the virtual memory on your hard drive.

So, the first step, IMO, would be to run Check Disk to see if there's any errors there.
Go to Start...Run...and type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes and with a space between chkdsk and the /r) and press Enter
You'll get a message that it can't run and it'll ask if you want to schedule it for the next boot. Answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter.
Reboot the system and let chkdsk /r run - the system will boot into Windows when it's done.

You can check for any error messages by going to Start...Run...and typing in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and then pressing Enter.
In the left hand column, click on the Application category, then scroll down the right hand pane looking for an event with the Source being Winlogon (it'll be at the time that chkdsk /r ran). Double click on that entry to get the details.

It'll look something like this:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 44 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 44 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 44 unused security descriptors.

67095440 KB total disk space.
3246256 KB in 17644 files.
4944 KB in 1246 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
88432 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
63755808 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
16773860 total allocation units on disk.
15938952 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
c0 4d 00 00 d5 49 00 00 b9 5a 00 00 00 00 00 00 .M...I...Z......
56 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 4d 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 V.......M.......
60 8c f7 00 00 00 00 00 10 b4 d8 06 00 00 00 00 `...............
30 01 df 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0...............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 b0 db b8 11 00 00 00 00 ................
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 07 00 ec 44 00 00 ..6......9...D..
00 00 00 00 00 c0 22 c6 00 00 00 00 de 04 00 00 ......".........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

If all is well with that, then we'll have a look in Device Manager to check your devices. If they appear OK, then we'll ask you to update your storage drivers for the motherboard controller.

Let us know how the chkdsk /r works and we'll move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 zville123

zville123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

I did the Check Disk all seems fine. Looks similar to one you showed. 0 bad sectors. Nothing I saw indicated a problem but I have no idea what the data under "Internal Info" means. Please let me know what to do next. I really appreciate your help :thumbsup: !
Thank You,

~ Denise

#7 zville123

zville123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

I don't know if this means anything, but while in the Event Viewer after the Check Disk I looked at some of the other headings. Under "IntelDH" there is a whole list of errors, at least several a day, going back to January. As far as I see, they all say, "could not attach to EL Acpi driver." I'm not sure what that means or if that is causing my present problems. Also in the Event Viewer, under the heading "System" there are 2 errors that have been happening consistantly. The 1st says, "The Intel Quick Resume Technology Drivers service terminated with the following error: The system could not find the environment option that was entered." The 2nd error says, "The Uninterruptible Power Supply service terminated with the following error: The UPS service could not access the specified Comm Port." Perhaps you know what these mean :thumbsup: .
Thank You,

~ Denise

#8 zville123

zville123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hello :thumbsup: Was it something I said?
Thank You,

~ Denise

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hello Denise,

The errors do sound consistant with hard drive problems.

I would first run http://www.hdtune.com/ on a detailed scan do you see any errors? Also your hard drive may be set to the wrong mode.

1. Right click My Computer select properties
2. Select the Hardware tab and click device manager
3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers group
4. Double click Primary IDE Channel
5. Select the Advanced Settings tab
6. What is the current Transfer mode for Device 0?

If the mode is set to PIO Only select the driver tab and click Uninstall
This will uninstall the driver and reboot the system. Upon reboot the driver will be replaced and you should be using the correct setting.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

Hi Denise!

I wasn't ignoring you, but I've got an odd schedule so my times online are a bit confusing.
And, my system crashed this weekend, so I wasn't around for about 1 days.

The Intel Quick Resume stuff is a bit confusing, and it's likely that it may be causing some issues with your system. They are associated with the motherboard drivers I mentioned earlier, but are aimed at the CPU rather than the motherboard.

We'll need the exact model of your Dell computer in order to start looking for the drivers, please provide that in your next post.

Meanwhile, go to Start - Run - and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Look in that window for anything with a red X or yellow ! mark and let us know what it says.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 zville123

zville123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

Current transfer mode for Device 0 is Ultra DMA Mode 2.
Thank You,

~ Denise

#12 zville123

zville123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

My computer is a Dell XPS 200.
Thank You,

~ Denise

#13 zville123

zville123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

Under Network Adapters, 1394 Net Adapter was disabled. I enabled it. Could this have been the problem?
Thank You,

~ Denise

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:28 AM

A disabled network device should cause no problems with the system, other than not being able to use the device.

Did you run the hdtune tool?
Regards,

Alan.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:36 AM

It's probably not the 1394 device - but stranger things have been known to happen.

If your hard drive passed the test suggested by nigglesnush85, then I'd suspect that it's an issue with your SATA drivers. Go to this Dell link, download the file that's located there, and double click on it to install it.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=249692

Additionally, check the Application and System categories for errors around the times of the freezes. If you can make it freeze, please do so and note the time. Then check that time against the Event Viewer logfiles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users