Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dilemma : Unable To Access Internet With Ie 6

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Press1forhelp

Press1forhelp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

Newbie here with average experience working with bleeping computers. My problem has me puzzled from a procedural standpoint and any help would be appreciated.

QUESTIONS… computer cannot access the internet.
- Is it helpful to download and scan w/detectors (AdAware, Spybot S+D, etc.) if I am unable to update with their latest files?
- I can download to another computer then transfer software to my computer and run without updating. Is that advisable and useful?

BACKGROUND
- OS Win-XP/SP2 Media Edition with all updates (except SP3).
- 1 GB RAM w/ Intel 2400 @ 1.83 GHz/988 MHz.
- Use IE, Version 6.0.2900.xpsp_sp2qfe070227-2300
- Recently lost internet access…it just ceased to connect. I can still use Outlook / Office XP for e-mail.
- IE just will not load...stalls out.
- ISP is Verizon FiOS; Verizon confirms that there is no issue with their service since another computer had no difficulty accessing via IE.
- Working wireless, and have tried connecting via line cord to the router…still unable to connect (wireless or line cord).
- Prefer to NOT upgrade to IE 7 due to compatibility issues at work.

Any help appreciated, Thanks - Press1 :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

You can try this
http://www.theeldergeek.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Press1forhelp

Press1forhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

YESSSSSSSSSS ! The issue is resolved.
The suggestion from someone offline (run Microsoft CHECK DISK) located and corrected two corrupted sectors.

Then I downloaded and ran AdAdare, Spybot Search + Destroy, and Panda online scan… no "bad boys" found.

All programs are working properly. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

Regards - Press1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users