Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joyful_jester

joyful_jester

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

So I went and bought a harddrive to upgrade my computer, low and behold it wasn't compatible. How do I look for a harddrive that is going to be compatible with my computer so that I don't make the same mistake?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 LynnKnows2

LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

How was the hard drive not compatible with your computer? What kind of hard drive did you buy?

#3 joyful_jester

joyful_jester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

How was the hard drive not compatible with your computer? What kind of hard drive did you buy?

My apologies, I got a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. It's not compatible in that the pins on the harddrive are too small. I'm guessing it's only because it's a SATA.

#4 joyful_jester

joyful_jester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

My apologies, I got a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. It's not compatible in that the pins on the harddrive are too small. I'm guessing it's only because it's a SATA.

Ok just went to check up on my motherboard and it says that it supports this harddrive, rather it says "Integrated new generation SATA 3Gb/s storage interface"

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 8I945PL-G
Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Do I need some sort of adapter to connect it to the motherboard and power supply? I'm missing something haha

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

It is probably just the Power Plug that is throwing you. :thumbsup:

Some SATA drives come with the standard 4-pin Molex-type connector (usually white) AS WELL AS a SATA Power connector (usually black).

Some just have the SATA Connector, in which case you might have to use an adaptor if your Power Supply is not compatible. Many power supplies do not have SATA connectors but will come with a small adaptor.

Good luck and I hope this helped.

DR

#6 joyful_jester

joyful_jester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

It is probably just the Power Plug that is throwing you. :thumbsup:

Some SATA drives come with the standard 4-pin Molex-type connector (usually white) AS WELL AS a SATA Power connector (usually black).

Some just have the SATA Connector, in which case you might have to use an adaptor if your Power Supply is not compatible. Many power supplies do not have SATA connectors but will come with a small adaptor.

Good luck and I hope this helped.

DR

Well I did buy the harddrive from Newegg.com so I only got the hard drive and no adapter, as for the power supply if it came with an adapter it's probably long gone. And it's not only just the power supply, I can't figure any way to connect it to the motherboard so I'm hoping there's an adapter for that as well. I appreciate the info

Edited by joyful_jester, 06 August 2008 - 12:17 PM.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/ViewImage

Do you see the 2 yellow plugs above the 2 lime green ones? Those are for your SATA device
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 joyful_jester

joyful_jester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/ViewImage

Do you see the 2 yellow plugs above the 2 lime green ones? Those are for your SATA device

KK so I just have to get the right cord for the motherboard and adapter for the power supply. Thanx for the info, it'll save time having not to send the hard drive back and ordering a new one.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

SATA cable
http://www.newegg.com/
It costs less than the freight to ship it. Best Buy carries it. Probably Radio Shack does too
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users