Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Uninstall Xp - Locks Up... Dead In The Water!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 toprockman

toprockman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

The computer in question is a few years old, though it was pretty "state of the art" when I got it. It was running Windows 98 SE. I decided to try and upgrade it to Windows XP. I did "successfully" upgrade it a few weeks ago, but quickly found that it was locking up. Sometimes you could use it for 5-10 minutes before it locked, sometimes it locked almost immediately. You could access the internet and other programs, but it invariably locked up (keyboard, mouse, everything). If you weren't running any programs, just sitting at the welcome screen, it locked up. Got tired of this and decided it wasn't worth it. At least with 98 we could use it (my kids primarily use it to access their favorite websites). So, I tried uninstalling XP, but it (of course) locked up. I rebooted it, and it tried to continue the uninstall, but it locks again. Tried this about 20 times, and it never gets more than a minute or two into it before it locks up. Tried rebooting in safe mode, still locks up. Tried to cancel the uninstall, but it warns me that files are missing and I can't use windows. So now I can't log in the old way because files are missing, and I can't complete the uninstall. I am at my wits end and wish I never tried the upgrade. Any suggestions on what I can do? I suppose worst case scenario I can reformat and reinstall Windows 98 if I can find the disk, but I've never done this and am not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated!
-Wendy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

Use a utility like Active KillDisk to wipe the drive, and then you will have a clean drive to start the fresh installation of the W98. You do have the installation CDs/Floppys?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users