Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Dangerous Is This?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 broe

broe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

When I go to the Intel site and look for the latest graphics drivers for my chipset, they have a newer one, 14.25.50.4764 dated 1/17/07, vs. the one and only update from Dell, 14.10.4609, dated 6/6/06. Of course, I think newer is better. I download the thing, run it, okeedokee the eula, I get this:
Attached File  ScreenHunter_01_Aug._05_19.35.jpg   16.13KB   18 downloads

^%#$ Dell, right? Hit OK, right? Well, I didn't hit OK. It took a while to find the folder, but all those files are in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\pft2F~tmp. And, as long as you don't click OK on the ERROR window, all the files stay right there. (If you do hit OK, they're gonola, of course.) Soooo, I copied them to a folder and took a look, and then I searched for the same file names in Windows. What do you know? For all but three of the files in the downloaded graphics folder, there are files with exactly the same names in C:\WINDOWS\i386, system32, and two backup folders, and they are nowhere else on my HD. Of the three odd ducks, one is called difx32.dll, and the other two are Intel logo bitmaps.

Now, difx32? What might "difx32" mean/what might that file do? One might guess from the name that it looks for files on the HD, or in Windows specifically, files with the same names as the files in the downloaded graphics folder, and if the Window's files are DIFFERENT, as in older or different sizes, bingo, they get replaced with the downloaded files. I might... guess that.

So now I have this large folder on my desktop, a copy of i386 with all the same-named files replaced with the newer Intel graphics files.

My question is, What's the chance this will work? If I set a restore point, copy/paste the thing in and, if it doesn't blow up right there, reboot, and let 'er buck.

If someone has a more refined method, or knows for sure this is gonna do a number two on my machine, let me know, either way.

BTW, assume the newer Intel driver is correct for my chipset, because I checked and rechecked, it is. Unless, of course, if Dell somehow changed the innards of the chip just enough, or made some little alteration in the driver code and how they dance together. But somehow, I don't think so. Read the error message again. Not nearly threatening enough.

Edited by broe, 05 August 2008 - 11:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

The chances that it'll work are slim, but it is possible.
The worst case is that they don't work - and you won't be able to see anything on your screen. In that case you'd have to format your hard drive and reinstall Windows.
Best case is that it works and you've updated - going around the restrictions that Intel put in place.

Which makes me wonder - why would they go to the trouble of doing this when most video drivers don't have this issue?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users