Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit.exe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 el chingon

el chingon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hi, about 3-4 days ago when i turned on my computer a message appeared about userinit.exe failed, and it said click ok to terminate. So i just cicked "x" mi icons and taskbar didn't appeared and as i researched more about this i found out that userinit.exe is what starts up your computer programs. So right now the only way I can do stuff is through task manager. I;ve already tried system restore and it didn't work.Also, every now and then the icons and task bar reappear. I read some where that someone just typed in explorer.exe in the task manager and it fixed the problem.

So i tried it but then another pop-up came up about rundll.32 or something like that saying basically the same thing as userinit.exe "click ok to terminate". Can anyone please explain how to fix this, if its possible to get fixed. I asked this same question in answers.yahoo and the 2 people that responded said my computer is messed up for good.

I'm not too good with computers so someone please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

You may want to log on in Safe Mode. (Hold F8 while the machine boots)

Choose Safe Mode, and click on the Administrator profile when it prompts you.

Then Windows Logo Key + R which will bring up the Run Dialogue box.

Type regedit, and hit enter. CTRL + F to find and type this in;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Find the "Shell" Key, and make certain it says explorer.exe
if it's anything else, you may have a virus, at which point you'll want to talk
to the HijackThis team. If the key is Explorer.exe it's probably a good idea to
perform a restore, but don't do that before talking to us. And Don't change the
DATA in the registry, just find out what it says, and tell us.

#3 el chingon

el chingon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

Ok i just did what you told me to tell you and under shell it said Type: Reg_SZ and Data: explorer.exe So that good then right? What should i do next? The system restore? I did it before and it didn't work, i took it back all the way to like june 8. But ill try it again if you think it might help.

BTW, i dont know if it helps or not, but like 2 weeks ago for a whole week i had a spyware problem, it stopped now. But im just telling you in case it might help.

BTW, i appreciate your help.

#4 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:44 AM

The virus Vundo could cause this problem. It may be helpful to read the following link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/31163/userinitexe-problem/

Please pay special attention to post #9 by KaZoom and post #10 by myself. I had almost exactly the same problem as you, but luckily I was able to resolve it largely by following KaZoom's post.

#5 el chingon

el chingon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

Hi I read trough it and in 1 step it says...

Restart your computer using a floppy or CD that boots you into DOS!!!!! If you don't have one, use Windows Explorer (or some other computer) to make a bootable floppy or CD.

How can i make a bootable CD? i don't have another computer.

BTW, i might be able to get a Windows XP cd from a friend, if I erase everything and reinstall windows will that help?

#6 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

Do you have access to another person's computer running XP? You can do a search and find out how to make a bootable CD.

By the way, I did not use DOS to delete the files myself. I have a backup system which was not connected when my other hard drive was infected. I used the explorer of the backup system to delete those files.

My suggestion is: if you are not familiar with DOS, you could buy a USB hard drive enclosure to enclose your hard drive, and then connect it to another computer. Ideally the other computer should run a similar OS, so you can compare the files in the Windows\System32 folder, so that you don't delete the legitimate files. I hope this helps.

If you don't have anything important on your infected computer hard drive, you could do a fresh installation and that will probably work. Because if you format the hard drive, everything should be gone (including the virus). But if you have important things on that hard drive and if you have installed a lot of programs, a reinstallation may take a whole day. That's not much fun, because I have done it ten or twenty times and I know how it feels.

#7 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

el chingon:

Here is what I found about how to make a bootable CD by google search:

========================================
Creating a Windows XP boot disk

Note: The Microsoft Windows XP CD is a bootable CD and in many cases you should not need a bootable floppy diskette. Booting from the Windows XP CD will allow you to not only install/re-install Windows XP but will also allow you to troubleshoot it.

Create MS-DOS bootable diskette

When formatting a floppy diskette, users have the option of creating a MS-DOS startup disk, follow the below steps to do this.

1. Place diskette in the computer.
2. Open My Computer, right-click the A: drive and click Format.
3. In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
4. Click Start

Create Windows XP Setup diskettes

Microsoft is beginning to phase out bootable floppy diskettes in favor of bootable CD discs and has not included a method of easily creating a bootable floppy diskette in Windows XP or from the CD. However, Microsoft has downloads available for users who still need to create bootable diskettes to install (not upgrade) Windows XP. These downloads can be found through KB310994.

Additional help and information about troubleshooting bootable CDs not booting is found on document CH000217.
======================================

Here is the link to the web page:
http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm

I hope this helps.

Edited by czhang, 06 August 2008 - 11:35 AM.

#8 el chingon

el chingon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

If you don't have anything important on your infected computer hard drive, you could do a fresh installation and that will probably work. Because if you format the hard drive, everything should be gone (including the virus). But if you have important things on that hard drive and if you have installed a lot of programs, a reinstallation may take a whole day. That's not much fun, because I have done it ten or twenty times and I know how it feels.

That's probably what i'm going to have to do, because its too complicated for me to understand exactly what to do and I don't really have any important stuff on my computer. It'll probably be easier. And what's a diskette? a CD right?

BTW, whats a VundoFix? I saw that you posted that in the other thread.

Edited by el chingon, 06 August 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#9 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

A diskette is 3.5" (or previous to that 5" or so) plastic magnetic disk enclosed in square plastic case (about 1/8 or so inch thick). It's a storage media before CD. It's capacity is about 1.44 MB.

A VundoFix.exe or FixVundo.exe (one of them is published by Symantec) is a program designed to scan for files infected by the virus Vundo and removed the virus. I have used both of them to scan my system.

#10 el chingon

el chingon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:44 PM

Should i try doing that? And how do you do it, do i just type in VundoFix.exe in task manager?

#11 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:32 PM

You can try to download VundoFix.exe from:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4954.html

You can save the program then double click it to run. Follow the instructions to scan your computer. If it does find something, then follow the instruction to remove the offending files.

If you can, try KaZoom's method: delete the suspicious .ini and .dll files. If you cannot do that, ask someone who is more familiar with Windows XP to help you. Through forum discussion, there is not much else I can do to help you. Sorry.

If you don't care about the stuff on your infected system and can find a Window XP installation CD, perform a reinstallation. Install antivirus, firewall, antispyware etc. to better protect your computer. Search the forums and you can find some free software. BTW, you may need Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later. If you have a CD older than SP2, you may have trouble getting the most recent updates (SP3 and others).

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

I hate to interject here...but it seems to me that the OP really needs to post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

I say that based on the discussions relative to dealing with known malware infections, rather than usinit malfunctions in XP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users