Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Not Running

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

Greetings BleepingComputer. I've had this problem for a month now and I kind of ignored it for the passed few weeks because I've been on my laptop. I started playing this game called "Combat Arms" and I was getting a measly 20-30 fps in it and I would hit some choppy points. So now I want to get my desktop up and going again but I've had this weird problem with my graphics card. The GPU is an "EVGA GeForce 8600 GT" and it uses a PCI-Express x16 slot. I've used this graphics card in the past and it's worked perfectly fine but one day I attempted to boot up my computer and I could hear the fan of my graphics card go on then off. This would happen 6-8 times, and then the computer fan would go. I don't get any image on the monitor unless I hooked it up to the on-board GPU.

Now, I RMA'd my graphics card and I got a refurbished one. I tried that and I still got the same problem. So now I'm forced to use my weak laptop to game and I'm unable to play Call of Duty 4. What could be the source of this? Power supply? The slot itself?

By the way, when I load the computer via the on-board GPU, it works perfectly so I don't think it could be my motherboard.

Any ideas? Thanks in advanced,

~Ragtimesolo

Edited by Ragtimesolo, 05 August 2008 - 06:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:02 AM

That graphics card requires a minimum 350W @ 18A, does you PSU meet these specs.?

Do you have another PSU that you could try to see if it's your problem?

Edited by dc3, 06 August 2008 - 02:06 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:12 AM

I just realized my Gateway GT5228 has a wattage of 300W.

However the GPU has run on my computer before, what could cause this? Since it worked in the past, and now not anymore, could it be my PSU is damaged?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

I don't know what kind of demands the games you have been playing have put on the PSU, if you have switched to games that are more intensive resource wise than that could be a factor.

And yes, it could even be that your PSU has developed a problem, this was why I had suggested seeing if you could swap that one out to see if it was the culprit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users