Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Getting Ripped Off?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deeds281

deeds281

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

I am having a computer built for me and I have no idea if it is a good computer and worth the $1250 i'm being charged.
It is a Windows XP.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6G CPU (fast with two processors)

Intel 31PR Mother board (the latest with wireless internet onboard)

Mini ATX Case (small case)

160G SATA Hard Drive (big HD for jusic and graphics, game storage)

2G DDR2 memory (important to have enough memory for good online speed)

DVDRW ( DVD and CD reading and writing)

GForce 7200 512MB VGA Card (big video card with HQ output and its own memory)

What do you think?

P.s. Would Vista be a bad idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

Your definitely getting ripped off.

I could build you the same thing with a price range of 400-600$
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

You're getting ripped off. I wouldn't even pay half of that. Here is a link to that graphics card, which isn't good for gaming at all http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814141071 . Games that are two-three years old won't run very well with that card. The only thing nice is the processor.

160gb hard drives aren't very large either, and they only cost around $40-$50. A 500gb hard drive can be purchased for around $75-$80 now.

It's not really anything special, except for the processor which you can get for $140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115045 . The processor is by far the most expensive part out of everything you listed.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 deeds281

deeds281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:14 PM

Wow. Im only 16 and ive known this guy for as long as i can remember. This is really unexpected :thumbsup:

Any advice on getting a new computer thats actually good? Im probably going to be looking at Vista.

Edit: I also might want to stay with him. I would need to tell him specifics so he wouldnt screw me though.

Edited by deeds281, 05 August 2008 - 10:18 PM.

#5 mikerox

mikerox

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

I'm new to building myself, and I can tell you now, you're getting screwed big time. I have computer sketched up to be built that far superior than that, and it's costing me less than $850.
A Christian and proud of it.

Those who use the Posted Image Button will suffer the wrath of Neapolitan!

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:47 AM

You're being ripped off, it's as simple as that. If you're into building PC's or just want a good parts list, we can easily help you with that. Just don't forget to set a budget and your intended uses. There are a few things with your proposed build that sent off red flags. First, the graphics card, which is old, retails for about $20. Next, the hard drive is too small for future expansion. Many programs and high-quality files can fill a hard disk quickly, 160GB just isn't going to do it. Your motherboard does match your case, a small board for a small space-saving case.

3939.png

#7 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:19 AM

Man, dont do it! I posted my recent build on another post of yours see that.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#8 rvflyer556

rvflyer556

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

Hello. If I was you I would just build it myself. I just recently built my own for Flight Sim X, and all is working well. I have a Core 2 Duo Q6600 quad core CPU, 2 GB of RAM, 280 GB of total HD space, a GeForce 8800 GT video card, CD and DVD units, and an MSI P7N SLI Platinum mobo. I have about 750 dollars in it. I purchased everything from Tiger Direct. If a middle aged computer illiterate like myself can do it, anybody can do it. Price your items out and give it a try. You can find lots of help assembling it through here and other internet sites...good luck

#9 ab30494

ab30494

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

do some research and do it yourself, its easy and will save you alot of money

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users