Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bloated Off-line Files Folder (winxp Pro)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mtmorrissey

mtmorrissey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

I have two computers at work (a desktop and a laptop). Both are running Windows XP Pro. Both are tied to our server running Windows Server 2003 via our office LAN. All office computers log onto the same domain. My desktop and laptop computers log onto the same user account so that files under \My Documents are synchronized and resided on my laptop as off-line files when I leave the office on travel to places with no Internet access. While both computers are attached and logged on, when I make changes to files (edit, delete, move, etc) on one computer, those changes show up immediately on the other computer. (I think that pretty much sets the stage!!!)

Under \Windows\CSC there are eight folders (\d1 through \d8). On both of my computers, the \My Documents folder holds 8,392 files totaling 8.14GB. If I understand the purpose of the \CSC folder, it is supposed to be the storage folder for all my off-line files.

The \Windows\CSC\d1 through \d8 folders on my laptop contain 13,239 files totaling 9.27GB. The same folders on my desktop contain 103,201 files totaling 140GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I said 140GB.

(1) Can anyone explain this?
(2) How can I reduce this bloat?

I have a 250GB hard drive (actually 233GB after formatting) with 29GB free. Of the 204GB in use, 140GB of the hard drive is in the \CSC folder. There is the possibility that other users may have logged onto my desktop computer in the past using their User ID and PW and as I understand it, when they logged off, their files were synchronized on my computer. All past users have been deleted from my desktop and only myself and the basic user accounts exist.

(3) Can I delete the contents of the \d1 through \d8 folders and re-synchronize with the server without losing data on the server? If I do this, should I be connected to the LAN when deleting?

As a safeguard, I would be detaching my laptop (which has a copy of all my files). We also conduct daily backups of all user's \My Documents, so worst case, I could retrieve my stuff off the backups.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

Hello, the csc folder is the storage folder for your offline file, and the est way to fix the bloat is to get rid of what you have and re-synchronise. However i would certainly look at the files before you did this to make sure there arent any files tha havent synchronised. To do this just open my computer, click tools at the top and then on folder options. Then click on the offline files tab. You should now be able to see a view files button. Click on this and you will be able to see all the data that is the csc folder in a format you can understand. If there is nothing in there that isnt mirrored on the server i would first to a checkdisk of your drive, as this can sometimes fix these issues.

note: this can take up to 2hrs plus and you cant use your pc during this time
start-->run-->
type cmd and then hit enter
then type
chkdsk /r /x c: (where c=windows drive)
a window will come up about not being able to lock the drive and do you wish to do this on reboot
press y
then restart your computer and it will do the scan

When it makes it into windows check your event manager
click start-->run
type
eventvwr.msc
click OK
select application on the left side
now in the right panel check in the source column for winlogon, this has the details of the checkdisk, check to see if there are errors, if not

Open my computer
click tools-->options-->offlinefiles tab-->view files

then select all files (ctrl-a)
then delete them.
then right click on your documents folder and choose synchronise (as you have a lot of data this could take a while)

this will reset your shared folders back to default as it will copy all the files back. The Delete files in the offline folders windows doesnt always delete all the files for some reason so i do it this way.

hope this helps

1. It is likely that you still have synched files from other users.
2. By following the above instructions to delete all synchronised files and start again
3. Yes, but deleting the files straight out of csc isnt the best way to do it.

Edited by Charybdis, 05 August 2008 - 07:57 PM.

#3 mtmorrissey

mtmorrissey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:11 PM

Charybdis, thanks for the info. I followed your instructions and cleared up just over 132GB from my desktop computer's CSC folders. I did the same thing on my laptop clearing up about 1GB of useless stuff. Appreciate the excellent guidance. The scary part was when I deleted everything on the laptop while it was disconnected. As I watched all the files and folders deleting, my mouth sort of fell open. Then I realized it was doing as I asked it to, namely to delete the off-line files which is what I was looking at. Plugged in the Ethernet cable and voila, all my files were back. Again, thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

FWIW: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...s.mspx?mfr=true

For people like who have never heard of a CSC folder :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users