Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Issues, But Nothing To Do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gheese

gheese

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:08 PM

I am reading forum posts from another site. To get to further access in the site you must enter and registrate PERSONAL INFO. I noticed that the first few threads I was reading I was limited. Afer a bit of time spent and more hits to other areas of the site I got a little more deeper into the site itself. Coookies and IP and etc etc is what I imagine has allowed this.

Here is the issue though. First of all the site is rather popular and legitimate I believe, but still should not have to enter what they are asking. Although many have for many years and its a very popular site/forum. Now to gain access deeper into the site you must enter all personal information including credit card information incase you buy items and want more depth into the site itself. WHY THAT MUCH?

directly from the site stating:

Please note that the Service is strictly for entertainment and informational purposes only. The Service is not to be used for or in conjunction with any illegal activities... You also hereby agree to provide true, accurate, current, and complete information about yourself as prompted by the Service’s registration page... Personal information such as user IDs, passwords, names, email addresses, telephone numbers, birth dates, and payment information may be collected and stored upon sign-up for the Service... (even though you do not need to buy anything they still want this) and say... The registration process requires a new user to input various pieces of personal information as well as create a user ID and password to identify your capabilities within the Service. This also includes payment and billing information that may be required to use certain features of the Service.

Lastly but not least is how do sites and forums KNOW your IP no matter WHAT? The cookies I understand and get, but how can sites such as this one automatically know your IP even though you have programs like comodo and/or other ways to supposedly make it tougher to grab an IP??? That I do not totally understand, could you explain that, anyone? I know there are ways to use other IPs, I think you need to go through a few steps or else be extremely advanced in computer security and do illegal things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

Well, it's a matter of choice. If you wish to use the service, then you need to comply to their terms of use. If you're not comfortable, then don't do it.

As for the question about IPs. You must first understand that without the site knowing your IP, you wouldn't be able to browse at all. So your IP is always required. Every website you visit knows your IP. The IP is just the physical address of your computer on the internet. It's like a phone number. If you don't have the number, you can't call. Same with IPs, if your IP is totally hidden, you can't connect.

There are anonymizing proxies, that allow you to mask your true IP, but those don't always work. And they can be fairly limited in what you can do with them.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

understandable, but isnt half of the chess game in dealing with somewhat insecure sites masking the IP, which you can. I mean the phone number is the door in the case? From the door it is wide open, if they know your true IP, all they have to break is the firewall, correct? Run comodo as I think it is the best.

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

understandable, but isnt half of the chess game in dealing with somewhat insecure sites masking the IP, which you can. I mean the phone number is the door in the case? From the door it is wide open, if they know your true IP, all they have to break is the firewall, correct? Run comodo as I think it is the best.

The firewall will help with closing off ports and allowing you to pick and choose what traffic goes through.

Here's a good topic on securing the rest.
Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

Here's a good resource also.

Steve Gibson's Shields UP!
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

yes... familiar and run similar if not all or know of that, but thanks! Basically its a view at my own discretion matter. lol.

Edited by gheese, 05 August 2008 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users