Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Install Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 image

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

Details:

I have a e-machine I was experimenting with.
I was trying out the New Vipre software from sunbelt to remove many infections on this computer.
After a reboot scan the Pc now has no explorer.exe I tried safe mode, sfc /scannow no luck.

But before all this I installed sp2 sp1 was originally on there.
My questions is If the easiest route to getting this computer back up to par would be a fresh install?
then what Xp disc would I use?
There is no recovery disc or recovery partition.
It has the COA on the case.
Should I use a OEM SP1 or sp2 disc or does the service pack not matter.
I know it must be an OEM disc correct?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:04 PM

I've used a Microsoft OEM XP disk to do a clean install on an eMachines system. I only have OEM versions of XP, have never bought a retail version.

It doesn't matter which SP is included...that's merely a matter of reducing or not reducing the number of updates which have to be added later.

The important thing is to copy down the eMachines license number/code to be used with the clean install.

If it were me, I would simply slipstream SP3 into either an XP SP1 or XP SP2 CD...then do the install. I would use nLite to make a slipstreamed iso...and then use something like ISO burner to make it bootable. This is not the only way, it's just the way that I go about such.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/ Please read the FAQ and guides before attempting an operation.

Louis

#3 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Since you had an infection, if I were you i'd delete all hard drive partitions, including the MBR (Master Boot Record). You can do this quickly if you boot up from a CD with AEFdisk installed.
You can delete all partitions on the disk with AEFdisk/delall. After you reboot, then do AEFdisk/MBR to put a clean MBR on the disk. Be sure to read the full documentation of AEFdisk before you execute any commands though. And reboot the computer after each major change so that the changes register correctly on the hard drive. After you delete the partitions, you can install Windows XP with whatever disk you have. I like OEM XP Home (SP2 is included in the version I have). It's nice because it doesn't install a lot of extra junk. I don't feel the need to upgrade to SP3.

Edited by BlackBurst, 05 August 2008 - 04:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users