Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trend Micro Pc-cillin Internet Security 14

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:04 PM

How is this program? It came with my computer and I was wondering how effective it is.
Also, it apparently is expired, meaning I can no longer update the definition files or the program. Should I get a different virus scanner (let me guess, of course)?

Edited by garmanma, 05 August 2008 - 04:34 PM.
moved to appropiate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:56 AM

I like AVG and Avast for a anti virus, and Ashampoo for a firewall.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ezmed3

ezmed3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

You should try PcCillin an see if u like it.
PCCillin and AVG are both good, but PcCillin is all tied together and made me feel safer. Most of the free AVG is not automatic
On the down side it was a PIA to get into a site that was on their list of problem sites

I think that their 2008 version is improved, but will not allow another virus or spyware program on the computer.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:08 AM

I have found that AV programs are usually down to user preference, I prefer antivir, some prefer AVG. Trend is a well respected name and make good products.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys, but there's also the question of it being expired meaning I can no longer get any updates. I would have to pay for a new subscription, but I don't want to pay. Should I switch to a free antivirus, or does it not matter much?

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

There are many free ware AV programs that can do sometimes a better job than paid for tools. http://www.av-comparatives.org/ is a good site to look at regarding AV products.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

If you're not going to pay for Trend Micro, then yes you should get a free scanner instead. Since new threats come out all the time, you're leaving yourself unprotected against them by using outdated definitions. There are several free AV's available which are good. Don't forget to make sure you get a firewall if you uninstall your Trend Micro Internet Security. You might want to check out our list of Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps which has some choices for both AV's and firewalls.

#8 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:39 AM

Ok, thanks drex23 for the quick and thorough reply. Since I did not want to pay for a new subscription, I did get a free antivirus and firewall.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:51 AM

Just out of curiosity, what AV and firewall did you go for and do they work well together?
Regards,

Alan.

#10 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

Ok, thanks drex23 for the quick and thorough reply. Since I did not want to pay for a new subscription, I did get a free antivirus and firewall.

You're welcome, glad to be of assistance. :thumbsup:

#11 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

Just out of curiosity, what AV and firewall did you go for and do they work well together?

For the AV, I got AVG because it seemed several people like this one. For the firewall, I got COMODO Firewall because it seemed to have good reviews. Right now, they seem to work fine and I can see no problems, but it's only been a couple days.
The COMODO did have a strange quirk, though. After I installed in restarted, the computer froze after startup and wouldn't let me do anything. I just repowered the computer and it worked fine. Other than that, no problems.

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

thats good to hear, :thumbsup: I tend to experiment with many different set-ups.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users