Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Windows Explorer Keeps On Resizing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 breezie

breezie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

RE: Windows Explorer Keeps on Resizing

Twinhead F12DT
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Pentium m 1.73Ghz

Hi guys. I am posting for a friend, since her computer is wonky.

Every time she opens a window (i.e. My Documents, My Pictures, etc. including IE or Firefox, but NOT Yahoo Messenger), it automatically resizes. It becomes big, it becomes small (on a loop, not just one time resize) without her doing anything. She describes it like it's "grounded" because it keeps on resizing. She has already "reformatted" but the problem is still there. Twinhead has pre-installed Windows, it goes like this for a reformat: "if you want to restore to factory settings (reformat) you just click on F4 during a restart (before windows starts)." Then it says it would erase everything on the disk.

Please help. What could it be?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

Hi breezie, I am moving you from the "Infected" forum to XP for now. As since you have formatted you may have removed the malware. Perhaps it an OS or driver issue but I want one of the good people in XP to look. If not we'll bring it back.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 breezie

breezie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:59 AM

RE: Resizing/Shaking/Vibrating Windows Explorer

Thanks for moving my post. I hope someone here can help. I was trying to get a better description from my friend. She sent a hazy video and I think her problem is that the windows she opens "vibrates." I mean, it shakes, appearing like the windows resize. We found some other links, like cleaning registry, posting something in Java, cleaning Start up, that apparently helped other people with shaking windows, but we are looking for more more specific instructions/insights, before proceeding. Again, she has already formatted her computer, but the shaking is still there.

Please help! Thanks!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

Reformatting suggests that she might have to reinstall the video driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 breezie

breezie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Thanks. I'll ask her to do that and will post what happens. I am also waiting for some clearer video of the "shaking" so I can post a link and you guys can see exactly what the problem is.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

In addition to the video driver, I've also seen this when a system is forced to use a resolution that's not compatible with the monitor.

To check this, she can investigate the Display settings in Control Panel.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users