Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winlogon Taking 99% Cpu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 q0507145

q0507145

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

hi,
my PC's desktop forzen and i check that the winlogon.exe had taking 99% CPU.
i try to scan for any virus or something, but that doesn't solve the problem.
but this only happen randomly (everytime i start my PC, i have to restart it to get it work.) , after i restart the computer again, it works up all fine.
and will any of you who known this problem tell me how to solve it, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

If your desktop is frozen...how can you check Winlogon usage of the CPU? If your desktop is not frozen, then you can easily check the status of any process, including Winlogon.

I don't know much...but it hardly seems likely that any user would ever be able to see Winlogon taking 99% of CPU cycles, unless something really atypical has occurred.

How long did this 99% for Winlogon last? What were you doing just before this occurred?

Are you using a firewall?

Do you have an AV program installed, updated, and running?

What programs do you use to scan your system for malware/spyware, etc.?

Interesting read: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t215...inlogonexe.html

More interesting: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32614

Thanks. My recommendation would be that you post this (or link to this) at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2008 - 11:16 AM.

#3 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

The problem could be that a program is starting up when you boot into your computer. Try clicking on start -> run -> and then type in "msconfig" and click on the startup tab. Afterwards, uncheck any program that you don't need running.

For example some of the programs that don't need to be in startup are: AOL, Quicktime, winamp, Itunes, etc.etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users