Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused Superantispyware Or Adware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 not_anyone

not_anyone

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

I got superantispyware and ran it. It came up with 468 adware cookies. I have f-secure. I am not sure what to do next, I read the tutorials and just become more confused your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
not anyone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:06 AM

What exactly are you confused about?

#3 not_anyone

not_anyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

F-secure my main spyware and virus protection did not detect any of these cookies. Do I need to quartine them ? Is my computer infected? Should adware be used also before I do anything with them. My mind is not wired very good today. :thumbsup: I don't know excatly what to do with that many adware cookies. i never had that many before. should I stop trusting f-secure.

#4 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

It's fine to delete the cookies. Everyone gets them from surfing the net and they aren't really harmful. F-Secure makes high quality products, and although I can't be sure as I don't use their products, they may not even scan for cookies (maybe you can verify if they do or not). If you want to reduce the number of cookies you get, you might want to look into using something like SpywareBlaster. Also, just wondering are you using F-Secure Internet Security 2008?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,051 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

Cookies are text string messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a web page or navigate different pages with your browser, the web site generates a unique ID number which your browser stores in a text (cookie) file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from that server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them.

The type of cookie that is a cause for some concern are "tracking cookies" because they can be considered a privacy risk. These types of cookies are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site). Ad companies use them to record your activity on all sites where they have placed ads. They can keep count of how many times you visited a web page, store your username and password so you don't have to log in and retain your custom settings. When you visit one of these sites, a cookie is placed on your computer. Each time you visit another site that hosts one of their ads, that same cookie is read, and soon they have assembled a list of which of their sites you have visited and which of their ads that you have clicked on. They are used all over the Internet and advertisement companies often plant them whenever your browser loads one of their banners. Cookies are NOT a "threat". Cookies do not cause any pop ups nor do they install malware.

As drex23 said, as long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. Other's don't even bother to scan for them.

You can also minimize this by reading "Blocking & Managing Unwanted Cookies" and "Block Third-Party Cookies in IE7".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 not_anyone

not_anyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

Thanks alot drex and quietman. I let superantispyware delete all those cookies. I just never had a problem with that many cookies before.
Not anyone

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,051 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016