Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Winxp Pro Install.. No Internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spunks3

spunks3

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:54 AM

Okay here is the problem. My computer was acting up very bad, very slow, and i got the blue screen of death almost every time i browsed the web. I decided to do a fresh install, repartitioned the Hard Drive and it is all installed. Fresh blank desktop... my problem now is that i have no internet. I am on the Road Runner ISP, and i have a Toshiba pcx2600 modem (provided by them). I have the roadrunner setup CD but whenever i browse it and click the setup.exe i get some error about not obtaining the IP. so i thought that i would need to install the drivers for the modem. i searched the web and i found them. i pu them on my SD card and tried to add a new network adapter. no luck... any ideas on how i can get this thing working. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

OK...it appears that you have a USB/ethernet connectable modem. Do not use the USB connection for this, use the ethernet connection.

First...if you installed the drivers for the modem before...please remove them. They are not needed. To do this, please use Device Manager.

You don't need drivers for the modem, those would be required only if we were going to use the modem's USB connection to the system. Since we aren't going to use that, there is no need to install drivers for such. All you have to do is connect it to the NIC.

http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/products/pcx2600_manual.pdf

You need to ensure that the drivers for your NIC are installed. Go to Device Manager, take a look. If you see any items with a yellow marking, this indicates that drivers are needed for that device to work. Drivers for your NIC should be on the CD that came with your motherboard or system.

Once the drivers for the USB modem connection are uninstalled...and the drivers for the NIC are installed, you simply follow the path laid out in your manual, using the CD provided you.

I suggest using the XP Network Wizard to set up the connection properly, after all hardware connections are accomplished.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...utt_june11.mspx

Louis

#3 spunks3

spunks3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

okay i didnt install anything so i wouldnt have had to uninstall the drivers. i have been trying to use the ethernet cable the whole time. also it is a custom built motherboard (intel) and i might have misplaced the dics since its about 6 years old lol. but when i go to the device manager and try to install new hardware the only things with yellow next to them are:

Video Controler
Multimedia Audio Contorler
Ethernet Controler

i dont see anything about NIC.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

Ethernet Controller is your Network Interface Card, http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/2560

If it's an Intel motherboard, finding the drivers should be easy.

Do a Google for the board or chipset, then Google for drivers for same.

If it were me, I'd also try to install the video and sound drivers.

It might pay to look for those CDs.

Louis

#5 spunks3

spunks3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

i found the Intel CD but when it tries to autorun it says error, timed out. then it closes. i can browse the contents of the disc, but same thing happens when i try to install new hardware. if i point to the intel disc it wont work... ill try to google for the drivers from intel and see what i can find, ill post results. thank you so far

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

What I would do...don't use the Install New Hardware Wizard. For whatever reason, I find that it sometimes has trouble finding the right drivers (at least, that's what I think).

Just go to Device Manager and update the drivers for each of the functions you mentioned.

Update Drivers In XP ~ Windows Fanatics - http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/12...-drivers-in-xp/

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Louis

#7 spunks3

spunks3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:13 AM

k i finally figured it out, i ended up going to the Intel website and downloading the motherboard, LAN, AUDO, and graphix drivers.. got them onto this PC and installed and internet fired up right away! thank you for your help.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

Well done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users