Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Reformating, Need Help.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wako944_*

Guest_wako944_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:19 AM

So after using my Dell XPS 600 for nearly 3-4 years, I got a new computer and I am planning to give the Dell to my little sister. The problem is, the Dell is very slow at times so I've decided to reformat the computer. However, I'm not completely sure if I have all the necessary tools before I reformat. From what I see, I need the product key (which I don't think I ever got) and drivers.

For the product key, I'm not sure if I have the right one, so I used the procedure seen in this video: to get my product key back. Is that alone is enough to reformat the computer? My XP Home Edition CD folder came with a white label on the back of it, but it's only 20 characters (I think it needs to be 25). Also, when I check the properties of My Computer on the Dell, I get another thing that looks like a key, but is only 20 characters as well (albeit different from the one on my windows cd folder).

Finally, for the drivers, Dell gave me a CD called Drivers and Utilities (Dell XPS 600 ResourceCD) with my computer. If anyone here ever owned or has knowledge of a Dell, could they please tell me if I can re-install all the needed drivers with that CD alone? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:28 AM

Hello,

You will need to use the XP Restore CD to format it, then you can use the Drivers and Utilities for the drivers, etc. That should be fine.

For the product key, look on the tower, there should be a little thing called a COA (certificate of authenticity). On it will be the product key you will need when performing the install of Windows once it's formatted.

Please note, ALL FILES will be lost when you format and it will be just like when you got it. So, if you have any files you need, back them up.

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#3 Guest_wako944_*

Guest_wako944_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:43 AM

Thanks a lot Adam, I looked on the tower and I found the COA. Not sure about the XP Restore CD, although I do have the "Operating System Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2". Is that the same thing? Thanks again.

#4 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:52 AM

Yep, that is the same; you should be set now. :thumbsup: Good luck.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

You can also use Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to locate your product key.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:07 AM

No disrespect, but I think it a better idea to just use the COA because if it is an illegal copy of Windows then it won't have a COA and I won't be of assistance. If it is legal, there it is. :thumbsup:

#7 Guest_wako944_*

Guest_wako944_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

I have the COA, but I'm wondering why the product key listed from the YouTube method is different.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

What is the "YouTube method"?

Louis

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

No disrespect, but I think it a better idea to just use the COA because if it is an illegal copy of Windows then it won't have a COA and I won't be of assistance. If it is legal, there it is. smile.gif

I'd rather know both-JIC
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Guest_wako944_*

Guest_wako944_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

What is the "YouTube method"?

Louis

It's the YouTube link I posted in my first message ().
Something about putting your CD into the Hard Drive and then looking for the UNATTEND File. When you scroll down, it gives you some sort of product key.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

Thanks, my error for not looking at previous posts :thumbsup: .

I know that (previously) some utilities might pick up keys from upgraded installs, rather than the current key.

There is a utility called SIW which will provide the correct key/license info, in addition to providing a lot of other info about your system.

SIW Download - http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users