Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-r Drive Won't Lock For Burning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 codsmith

codsmith

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:06 AM

I have an F3SV laptop with a DVD-R drive, LG Litescribe model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L NR02 (ATA). The problem is that I can not burn anything because the drive will not lock. Any ideas on how to fix this? It works off and on sometimes, but I have wasted so many discs because sometimes it messes up right in the middle of a burn. I have tried to look for new firmware or an update of any kind but can't find that either. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:31 AM

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "lock".

Have you tried uninstalling the drive in the Device Manager? If the drivers are corrupt you can uninstall the drive and when you reboot the installation wizard will assign the proper drivers for it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

Yeah, I have tried uninstalling it through the device manager just like you said, but it still does the same thing once the drive is reinstalled after the wizard is complete.

When I go to use ImgBurn, a msg pops up and says that the device is unable to lock and therefore it will not burn.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

Have you tried reinstalling ImgBurn.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, I have tried that. But it also does the same thing with other programs like CloneCD, CloneDVD, etc. I might just think it is this crappy burner ASUS put in my laptop. I can't even find a driver update anywhere online for it, not on ASUS's site or LG's site.

#6 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:15 AM

I have tried reinstalling every burning program and also uninstalling the dvd drive, but its still a no go. Any ideas? I uninstalled my antivirus software as well to see if that was the problem, but still no.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

A possibility, I suppose: http://forum.imgburn.com/lofiversion/index.php/t3231.html

Louis

#8 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:24 AM

Tried everything on that thread and still nothing. But thanks for the try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users