Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wife Is Letting Me Upgrade My Computer!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rklhughes

rklhughes

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

Hey all, my wife game me the go ahead to upgrade my computer. Things that I have figured out from these spec's that I may need . . . .

Gateway 507GR

I need a good Power Supply, this PC comes with a 300W

I need to upgrade to a good video card, I was thinking an Geforce 8800 (hence the power supply) But something with a VGA output.

I also need to upgrade to 2gb RAM.

What I need is product suggestions and tips on how to make this computer a decent system.

Mind you I am trying to stay with-in a somewhat reasonable budget of 250-300 bucks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:36 AM

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130319

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371007

Crucial http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.as...98634EDA5CA7304

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rklhughes

rklhughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

Thank you, I am wondering though if I skip out on the power supply and go with a PCI Express x16 Geforce 8600, if I would still be able to run most games. I read that the 8600 only requires a 300w Power supply.

The reason I ask is because I was told that more than likely any power supply I buy is not going to fit right with my Gateway. Is this true?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:28 PM

It depends. What game's you're going to play? Newer games won't run very well with only an 8600.

One thing you should know also is your computer has a Pentium 4 processor, and it doesn't seem like it can be upgraded to anything better. A Pentium 4 is going to severely bottleneck newer graphics cards. I even had an older ATI X1900GT, with a Pentium 4, 3.0ghz. My FPS in Call of Duty 4 was really disappointing. Other games such as Bioshock, were unplayable even at low settings. I eventually got a Core 2 Duo processor and everything changed! I could play Call of Duty 4 on high settings without lag, and could play Bioshock on medium-high settings with only the occasional lag spike.

If you want to play older games, go for an 8600GT. It's a waste to get an 8800GT with a Pentium 4 processor. I'd recommend saving up to just buy a new computer if you really want to game.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 rklhughes

rklhughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

Honestly I would be happy if I could get this computer to run The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and be able to handle home videos from a Hard Drive CamCorder

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:14 AM

You may be able to get Oblivion to run, it just won't go very fast. The 8600 will run most older games quite well, but on newer ones it will choke especially with your processor. For general home computing tasks, your upgraded computer (more memory and a better graphics card) would do nicely. But for gaming, you should have a more recent dual-core processor, more than 2 GB of RAM, and a decent graphics card. You will have a much better experience with a new PC.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users