Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Steam Sucks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 quickj

quickj

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

i recently bought the game portal at wal mart, but when i installed it it made me install steam. that was no problem, but then it started updating, again and again, i have dial up internet and it sucks. my game isnt even multiplayer, so i dont want to go online. does anybody know of a way for me to not use steam? im begging you. i have wanted portal for months.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kamakazie

Kamakazie

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:03 AM

i dont think so. steam is the head honcho of Counter strike, Half life, portal and other big games. And they are all about making sure you now that. There is probably some complicated way, i will do the best i can to help.
It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees
To knock a thing down, especially if it is at an arrogant angle, is a deep delight to the
To know the road ahead, ask those coming back
Valor is stability, not of legs and arms, but of courage and the soul
If you ever fall, get back up. If you fall again, take the person who pushed you down with you when you go
Being wise is knowing how not to make mistakes, becoming wise is by making mistakes

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

Nah. If you play a Valve game. Its going to have to be on steam.

I think steam is a good system, but its a pain in the butt that you have to be connected to the internet just to get into it.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

Have you tried running steam in offline mode?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Kamakazie

Kamakazie

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:25 AM

From what i hear, he doesn't want steam at all
To knock a thing down, especially if it is at an arrogant angle, is a deep delight to the
If you ever fall, get back up. If you fall again, take the person who pushed you down with you when you go
Being wise is knowing how not to make mistakes, becoming wise is by making mistakes

#6 quickj

quickj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

i tried using offline mode, but for some reason it doesn't work for me, kamakazie was right, i hate steam and i want it gone.

#7 Kamakazie

Kamakazie

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

i have good news and bad news. Good news : You can download a torrent that will allow you to use portal without steam. Bad news : It is most likely illegal. I am not quite sure. You can buy what they call a "c/_r/_a/_c/_k " (i have to put in the /_ because they are so illegal, they wont let me say it without the /_) CD which is pretty much a CD that has been changed. but making or buying any of these "c/_r/_a/_c/_k" CDs are extremely illegal. If i were you. I would see if torrents are illegal or not and work from there.

Edited by Kamakazie, 06 August 2008 - 10:09 PM.

#8 Lonster

Lonster

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

Steam details on Wikipedia article
"Applying computer technology is simply a matter of
finding the best wrench to pound in the correct screw."

- Guru Tru Yahu

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

If you have a friend with broadband take your computer to their house and update Portal there.

I would highly discourage any use of piracy with Steam and VALVe. They will disable the account, and disabled accounts and keys cannot be transferred.

Edited by cryptodan, 14 September 2008 - 05:00 PM.

#10 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

If you have a friend with broadband take your computer to their house and update Portal there.

I would highly discourage any use of piracy with Steam and VALVe. They will disable the account, and disabled accounts and keys cannot be transferred.

As far as I know this is the only way to do it.
MCP
MSDST

#11 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

Yes, you have to use Steam to play Portal. Sorry.
Activating it over dial-up is going to suck a bunch because 1) It has to decrypt online and 2) It's going to download the latest updates before it's ready to play.

It CAN be played in offline mode though so you won't have to dial in every time you want to play. In order to do this you have to make sure the game starts successfully once when it's finished decrypting and updating while Steam is online. Once that's done go to the Steam application and go to File > Go Offline, and from then on Steam will start up in Offline mode without bothering you to connect. If you have a place you can take the computer to that has broadband, that'll help speed the initial install process along.
Posted Image

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

This discussion, as it seems to involve in part, copyright infringement or tampering with the original game software, and because the acceptable work-arounds are discussed, is now closed.
John
GM

Edited by jgweed, 14 September 2008 - 06:26 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users