Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete know-nothing...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Yau

Eric Yau

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

I plugged a phone line into the jack on the computer, and set up that msn disc. But I get no dial tone when I try to connect. I know the line is good, since I'm using it for this desktop I'm typing on right now. It says no dial tone, check to see if modem is turned on/not busy. How do I know if I have a modem or not? My sister who had it before used a high speed connection, and I'm trying to use dialup. Is a modem not needed for the fast connections? I went on a couple websites to try to find a modem, but I don't understand what's listed under system requirements. What's an Rj-11? Hopelessly confused... Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric Yau

Eric Yau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:29 PM

Oh, I want to add- I went to system information-components-modem and found like, 6 of them listed. One is Conexant softk56 Data, fax PCI modem. It says attached to COM3, answer mode not available, and a bunch of other stuff beneath it. Does this mean anything? Some are internal, 1 is external. It's called cFos DSL, internet, PPPoE.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:38 PM

Hello Eric Yau and welcome to BC

An RJ-11 is the connector at the end of a phone cord as opposed to an RJ-45 which is the larger connector at the end of a CAT 45 network cable similiar to what your sister used for her hi speed connection.

What type of laptop is this? What is your operating system, XP?

The Conexant is the one you want for dialup. You can remove the rest as they are for a hi speed connection. Actually you can remove everything including the Conexant and reboot and let Windows redetect your modem and reinstall the drivers.

Also open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab and remove everything in the Dial Up and Virtual Private Network settings box before you reboot.

Try running the MSN CD again after you get rid of the extranious connections. Make sure the phone line is plugged in.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:43 PM

RJ-11 is the standard phone plug.
RJ-45 is a CAT 5 networking plug.
RJ-11 will plug into RJ-45 but not the other way around
Here's some pics: http://www.connectworld.net/connectors.html (scroll down to the R's)
It sounds to me like your plugging the phone line into the network port.
Look all around the back and sides of the lappy for another port that looks just
like the one you are in now.(just a bit smaller)
Most laptops do provide an internal modem.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 Eric Yau

Eric Yau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

It's a sony vaio pcg-z505lsk, and windows 2000 professional. Windows XP is on there too, but it doesn't work. It orignally came from Fed-ex in hong kong, where our family used to live. I'm trying it now..
After deleting everyting, when it rebooted, it opened a new hardware wizard. It says the wizard will complete installation for this device: PCI simple communications controller. I went to search for a suitable driver for my device, and now it wants some disk?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:00 PM

If you have the Windows 2000 disk put it in the CD drive and click the browse button and browse to the D: drive (if thats what the cd drive is). Alternately, browse to C:\Windows\INF or to the i386 folder on the C: drive. That will tell 2000 what drivers to use.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Eric Yau

Eric Yau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

I don't have the disk, so I went to C:\Windows\INF. It says windows was unable to locate a driver for this device. It then presents me with options to skip driver installation, or disable the device. What happens if I skip driver installation?

#8 Eric Yau

Eric Yau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

Oh, also looked for another phone hole, but the one I used looks like the only one there.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:12 PM

You can't skip the driver installation or the modem won't work.

You can get that driver for the modem here. Download and burn it to a CD and put the CD in the laptop. When Windows finds the modem and the new hardware wizard comes up click cancel. Then go to Start>Run and browse to the CD drive and select the .exe file you burnt. Click ok and ok and the executable file will install the modem.

#10 Eric Yau

Eric Yau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:25 AM

I got the driver installed, but it still wouldn't work. Today, I went and got a USB external 56k modem, and it works with this one. So I assume it's safe to assume that it was the original conexant modem that didn't work?

This modem was $50 bucks at best buy, and I found the same thing on ebay for $15. So I'm thinking I'm going to return the thing, since it's so overpriced. Will it matter too much what I get as a replacement? Or are all modems pretty much the same?

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

I have been looking at the manual for that laptop that is here. Click on primary user manual. Page 63 shows the location of the modem port as below. I post this because there was a question about where it was.

Posted Image

There's an "updated" driver on the Sony website here for that modem too. Its probably worth a shot.

For portability the best modem to use in a laptop is a PCMCIA card like this. It installs like in the thumbnail below.

Posted Image

#12 Eric Yau

Eric Yau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

Ah, I've got that flap thing there on the side of the computer, but when I open it up, there's no phone jack. There's some other sort of electronic attachment thing, with 2 copper wires.

So a good laptop modem would be something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

So there's just a phone hole on these card modems that I plug one end of the phone jack in, and the other end in the wall, right?

Thanks for all the help!

BTW, what the heck is a dongle wire?

Edited by Eric Yau, 20 April 2005 - 05:48 PM.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:48 PM

Download Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by higlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice. The program is extremely well featured and very nicely done.

Download
Here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

It will tell you exactly what modem you have (or whatever else is in that port) as well as give you all information about all other hardware and software that is installed on your laptop.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

Try the phone line in the flap thing. It may look funny but some of them are like that. Your first post in this thread says your error is no dial tone and thats what will happen if you don't plug into the hole in the picture.

Failing that you could buy the card on Ebay but it doesn't come with drivers. If it works you can get them from this page under 3Com/Megahertz PC Card (Model 3CCM156 and 3CCM156b).Seems there is a firmware upgrade too. Install that after you install the drivers and have it working.

Plug the phone cord in like in the picture and at least try it if the modem is listed as ok in Device Manager. You can't do any harm because the phone cord won't fit securely in the wrong place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users