Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help. Black Screen At Start Up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 8224

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

I now have a black screen at startup. Before I had a blue screen at startup and it would say things like "Panic Stack Switch" or "No More IRP Stack Locations" or "Bad Pool Header". This would happen when I would start up the computer or when I had some down time and instead of going into my screen saver the blue screen would come up.

I ran Combofix and now I don't get the blue screen at all. I get a black screen at startup. If I turn off my moniter and then turn it back on I get my regular screen for a second and then it goes black. This is my system information.

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Gateway, INC
Intel
Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 GHz
2.40 GHz, 512MB of RAM

What should I do?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2008 - 04:57 PM.
Move to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If so, try running chkdsk:

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After its finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 8224

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After its finished it will restart into Windows automatically. "

After doing this I am not sure if chkdsk ran or not. The computer did restart in windows automatically right away.
Sould I do anything else?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,550 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

Are you still experiencing any problems?

Also, you should not run ComboFix except under the supervision of a trained malware removal helper. It is a very powerful tool and can toast your computer in an instant.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 8224

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

I am not sure if I still have a problem or not. When I get it to work it will work until I turn it off or it goes into the screen saver for several hours. I post back tommorrow and let you know. And I will not run the ComboFix except under the supervision of a trained malware removal helper. Thanks.

#6 8224

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

The computer started up with no problem afer 45 minutes of being turned off. I think it may be ok now.

#7 8224

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

It looks like everything is working good now. Thanks for the help.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved.

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 8224

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:15 PM

Bad news. The problem is not fixed. The screen goes black when the computer has not been used for a while. If I turn the screen off and then back on it will blink on for a second and then go black. Anyone have any ideas?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,550 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

Try updating your video driver.

How to update a Windows hardware driver

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 8224

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:38 PM

Try updating your video driver.

How to update a Windows hardware driver

I updated the video driver. It may be a day before I know if this fixed the problem or not. Time to go to bed. Thanks for the help.

#12 8224

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:54 PM

I still have the same problem. I did update the video driver. Anyone have any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users