Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fluctuating Memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Siryu

Siryu

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

Not sure if this is a security problem or not. We did a bunch of security scans and none of them came up with anything suspicious. We're just wondering what might be going on with this. After leaving the computer on for some time (a few hours), the memory on my friend's computer (he uses Windows Vista) keeps changing on its own. Each time he refreshes the screen, the hard drive (just the hard drive) keeps coming up with different values for memory (differences include drops of about 3.0GB on its own...memory also has a larger tendency to drop than increase). What is going on and how do we fix it (we're sort of dead stuck on this problem)?

Edited by Siryu, 04 August 2008 - 03:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:16 PM

There is no memory data reflected on a hard drive. A hard drive contains storage space, not memory.

Just where are you and your friend getting these numbers/whatever, please?

Louis

#3 Siryu

Siryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

Oh, sorry...then storage space. The numbers we're getting are from the My Computer screen under the C: drive icon.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

OK :thumbsup:, no problem.

Well...depending on what features are enabled...storage space available (AKA free space) can change dramatically moment by moment.

If a user runs system restore, free space can fluctuate.

Virtual memory settings can change the amount of free space available if Windows is allowed to manage virtual memory (my choice).

Emptying the Recycle Bin has an impact on reflected free space.

I would also suspect that Temporary Internet Files will vary from moment to moment for someone browsing who saves webpages.

In short...there are legitimate reasons why hard drive free space might vary.

I'm not saying that your friend has no problem, just stating that there are legitimate reasons for fluctuations that do not mean there is anything wrong with the system.

Louis

#5 Siryu

Siryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

Oh...I see. Thing is that he hasn't really been doing anything different with his computer. He's been doing what he does for as long as he's had it. This problem just recently showed up, so its unusual...especially since the fluctuation can be as big as 3GB without him even touching his computer.

Edited by Siryu, 04 August 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

When's the last time the drive was defragged? He also might consider going to the support site of the hard drive manufacturer and downloading their diagnostic utility
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

Give me specific readings, please...at specific times.

And hard drive/partition sizes...3GB is not very large for a video file.

Here's a utility that may help to see what is using the hard drive, http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Just download the trial, install, read directions...see if you see any patterns worth noting.

Louis

#8 Siryu

Siryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

We're defragging the drive right now...and downloading the software.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Hmm...I probably would have run chkdsk /r on the drive before defragging it...but if you're going to run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, that's better than chkdsk /r.

Louis

#10 Siryu

Siryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:23 PM

Wait...you're right, we probably should. The defragmentation was started just a few minutes ago. We stopped it, and started running chkdsk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users