Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Wireless Routers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Besheerphy

Besheerphy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

We have been having problems with our wireless internet connection for awhile now. We are currently using the Actiontec GT704WG model, which user reviews are consistently unfavorable. The phone cable runs directly into the back of the device, and an ethernet cable as well as a USB cable connect it to our PC. We have 2 laptops that run off the wireless connect from the router.

We will have an internet connection and then for no apparent reason will lose it; it just stops working altogether. We have to turn off the power to the router, wait a minute, and then turn it back on. This obviously resets the connection and then usually works (sometimes taking two or three resets). Our family, along with advice from friends and online forums, decided that the router is most likely faulty and bought a new one, the new Netgear RangeMax WPN824 v2. This router is supposed to be exceptional, and includes a disk to run a, supposedly, simple setup. Unfortunately, I have not been able to set it up.

Unlike the Actiontec, there is no jack in the back of this router to directly plug the phone cord into. I have tried to just plug the phone cord into the PC, both the "Phone" and "Line" jacks, then run the ethernet from the PC to the router. That didn't work. Based on what I know about computers and the info given on the setup CD I thought I would be able to get it working for the house, but have been unable to do so.

Is it possible that the modem inside the computer isn't configured correctly for this new device? Am I going to have to run this new one through the old one?

Please help!

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:08 AM

It looks like the device you have is not a ADSL router and is a standard router that would be used to provide a wireless network to an existing ADSL network. This is why there is no ADSL port on the back for the Phone line. This has an Internet port that would be used to connect to a ADSL Modem.

This will need to be connected to your PC through the ethernet port to configure the device. Then you would be able to attach to the wireless side when that has been setup. this however will not help you on getting connected to the internet as this is not a feature that this unit has.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users