Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Uninstalling Avg 7.5 A/v, A/s Free, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

So it looks like it's about time to uninstall the ol' AVG Free 7.5 A/V and A/S and install AVG Free 8.0 since the final date for 7.5 Free virus definition updates is (supposedly) at the end of the month. But this leaves me with a number of questions:

1a. What is the best way to uninstall AVG 7.5 A/V Free, AVG 7.5 A/S Free, and AVG Anti-rootkit Free? I've read different answers. AVG even has different answers in different places. Some say that you should uninstall those programs yourself, then install 8.0 Free. Others say that you just run the 8.0 Free installer and choose the "uninstall" option and it will uninstall all the old stuff (which sounds risky to me). What is the best way?

1b. If you are uninstalling those three programs yourself, what's the best way to do it? Do you just use add/remove programs (although AVG A/V Free has an "Uninstall" in its Program Folder in the start menu)? Or do you need to stop certain AVG-related services first or anything like that?

It would be great if we could get a sticky post with exact uninstall/install instructions for all these AVG Free programs...? I think that would help a lot of people! :flowers:

2. Are all the bugs worked out for the most part with AVG Free 8.0? Or are people still having serious issues?

3. Do you still need to uninstall Spybot 1.4 and Ad-Aware SE 1.06r1 before installing AVG 8.0 Free?

4. Any special tips with installing AVG 8.0 Free? (It sounds like it's best to *not* install either the AVG Security Toolbar or the Linkscanner thing, which I read you now have the option to not install those if you do a custom install...?)

5. Does AVG 8.0 Free work okay with ZA Free 6.1.x?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:27 PM

I will attempt to answer some of your questions as best I can.

1a-1b:Use add/remove programs to uninstall AVG 7.x and AVGAS, then install AVG 8. You can download and save AVG8 to your download folder, go offline, delete and install. You may need to reboot after the installation.

2. Several (minor) features of AVG8 do not work with the new release of Mozilla Firefox, but there are no major bugs that would prevent your using AVG8. Expect boot up to take longer, since the new AVG is a bit clunky. Frankly, if Grisoft doesn't fix the Mozilla incompatibilities within a reasonable amount of time, I will be looking for a substitute.

3.No, but I would uninstall them anyway and find superior Antispyware applications.

4. I would always suggest a standard installation for any security application; you can always disable those parts you do not need, do not function, or that are better handled with other applications.

5. I don't use ZA, but I have not seen anything that suggests that under normal circumstances it would not work once you have granted AVG the necessary permissions.

Based on my own experience and use of the product, and from what I have read here and elsewhere, I think my reply may be of some assistance.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:38 PM

It would be great if we could get a sticky post with exact uninstall/install instructions for all these AVG Free programs.

"AVG Recommended Uninstall/Re-install Instructions"

I agree with jgweed. There were some issues and bugs with the initial release of AVG8. Most of them have been ironed out but there are a few more to go.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it!

But the one thing that concerns me is the variations in uninstall instructions. jgweed says to use add/remove programs. guietman7 gave the link to AVG's instructions which says to just run in the installer for 8.0 and choose the "uninstall option". Thus, my confusion! :flowers:

My gut feeling tells me to go with the add/remove programs instead of relying on AVG 8.0 to uninstall everything that it needs/should.

4. I've read that disabling the AVG Security Toolbar doesn't solve the issues it causes and that it's best to not install it. I've heard mixed things about the Linkscanner, but the way it presently works (just checking a list of "bad" sites) doesn't sound very effective (especially for the potential issues it can cause, I guess). But that's all just based on what I read.

Re: Firefox -- I still use 2.0.0.x (as they're doing security updates until the end of the year). I've read of some issues with 3.0 and AVG 8.0 -- but hopefully those'll be worked by December. :trumpet:

Any further thoughts on any of that?

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

(BTW, I just heard that there's a big update coming for AVG 8.0 Free in the next few weeks, so I think I'll wait until 7.5 runs out at the end of the month before proceeding...)

Edited by bloomcounty, 04 August 2008 - 04:46 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

1a-1b:Use add/remove programs to uninstall AVG 7.x and AVGAS, then install AVG 8. You can download and save AVG8 to your download folder, go offline, delete and install. You may need to reboot after the installation.

Do I just use add/remove programs for each (though AVG Free 7.5 A/V has an "uninstall" option in it's Start Menu folder, but the other two do not)?

Do I need to shut down any of the programs first?

Do I need to stop any of the services that are running that are related to any of the programs first?

Should I restart my computer between each uninstall? Or will I be prompted to do so when necessary?

Thanks again for all the help and patience!

Edited by bloomcounty, 06 August 2008 - 10:16 AM.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

Use the add/remove utility.
You can shut them down or not; removing will shut them down, as well as any services.
You may need to restart your computer after installing AVG8; I do not remember needing to reboot after uninstalling AVG7, but do so if you are prompted.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

Gotcha -- thanks!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users