OK, mystery solved
Above is my download which would not install (KB950759)
. A check of my Add/Remove Programs said that it was installed previously, so I removed it via Add/Remove Programs.
I went back to WinUpdate. I had previously noted that the total MBs reflected for my download at WinUpdate...was zero (actual file was about 8MB). So the fact that WinUpdate later stated that nothing had been installed...made sense. Once again, the WinUpdate reflected zero for total size of the prospective download...so I just checked out of WinUpdate.
I located the actual manually downloadable hotfix...installed it, rebooted.
My next trip to WinUpdate indicated that I now needed the next hotfix item (KB950760), which was already installed on my system (per Add/Remove Programs). It also failed to indicate the true size of the file (8MB), reflecting zero MBs for size. This time I didn't even bother to delete it via Add/Remove...I just installed it from online. Install went as planned or the installer saw that it was already done. Got the all clear.
I then went back to WinUpdate and I no longer reflect any critical updates which need to be installed.
Edited by hamluis, 04 August 2008 - 05:16 PM.