Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:00 AM

when trying to use 'windows update' to install various security and system updates, updates download and then fail to install, and I get the message
'
Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.
'

the troubleshooter hasn't helped any, and after four tries one gets sick of watching the system download the same updates over and over. I can install the updates by hand, locating them in microsoft's downloads and running them individually, but there's a limit to how many update packages one is willing to search out and download in this manner...
any ideas to try to fix this?

sort of a running thing I've had with winXP; error messages are so vague they're useless. like when I try to search the hard drive and get "unspecified error" or "unexpected error", but nothing tells me what the error is...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I have this same situation since 2 days ago :flowers:.

I haven't spent much time trying to figure out if it's a problem with the updates or the system...or what to do about it. If I spend some time on it later today, I will post my suspicions/findings.

Louis

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

OK, mystery solved :thumbsup:.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyo...;displayLang=en

Above is my download which would not install (KB950759) :flowers:. A check of my Add/Remove Programs said that it was installed previously, so I removed it via Add/Remove Programs.

I went back to WinUpdate. I had previously noted that the total MBs reflected for my download at WinUpdate...was zero (actual file was about 8MB). So the fact that WinUpdate later stated that nothing had been installed...made sense. Once again, the WinUpdate reflected zero for total size of the prospective download...so I just checked out of WinUpdate.

I located the actual manually downloadable hotfix...installed it, rebooted.

My next trip to WinUpdate indicated that I now needed the next hotfix item (KB950760), which was already installed on my system (per Add/Remove Programs). It also failed to indicate the true size of the file (8MB), reflecting zero MBs for size. This time I didn't even bother to delete it via Add/Remove...I just installed it from online. Install went as planned or the installer saw that it was already done. Got the all clear.

I then went back to WinUpdate and I no longer reflect any critical updates which need to be installed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 August 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#4 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

in my case, I *know* that I'm behind on updates due to a period of lax security efforts... most of what's listed at me is stuff I know I need to install, but NOTHING gathered through windows update is installing, even things that have appeared since I began having this issue.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

The easiest thing to do if you are behind...is install SP3. That should take care of 100-plus updates that really should have been installed by now.

Then move forward with regularity.

Louis

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:15 PM

Addendum: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

The above link will specifically correct a problem that is triggered with WinUpdates site...whenever user does a repair install. Worth reading.

Louis

#7 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:06 AM

let's see... never done a "repair installation" and haven't attempted to install SP3. so those are probably out of the question.
that said, still giving it a shot, but not expecting any results.

scratch that. now I get error 0x80244022 when I go to select updates.

Edited by ZT-repairseek, 08 August 2008 - 08:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users