Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Your Ideas On How Speed\run Smoothly

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

Right im posting here, to see what all your ideas\tweaks are to speed up a computer that is windows xp

So post all your things you know about how to speed up your computer and able to run nice and smooth.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Aside from scanning the hard drive for malware, I have often thought that doing routine maintenance is the most efficient way to keep it running as best it can.
Generally once a month, I archive documents, videos, pictures to disk and then delete (actually in my case overwrite) the files. I also look for any zipped files that remain after unzipping them, and review the applications I have (like old games or apps I downloaded to try out and didn't like or would never use). Ialso review the applications that run on start up and delete any unneeded ones that may have sneaked in.
I run the Windows disk cleanup utlitilty, then run checkdisk (aka scandisk) and defrag my hard drive.

Keeping the hard drive uncluttered and used space as small as possible, and keeping associated files closer together (defrag), improves performance (and makes anti-malware scanning faster).

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:30 PM

What is the Windows disk cleanup utlitilty?

#4 N3m3s4s

N3m3s4s

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

Well to speed up my internet on xp I use drtcp from Dsl Reports, not just for dsl connections. Use the tweak tester to see what you should set your Rwin to.

I also adjust my virtual memory.

Helps for online gaming.

Other then that I defrag once a week and use CC Cleaner and get it to search my registry as well.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

What is the Windows disk cleanup utlitilty?

The Windows Disk Cleanup utility removes unneeded/unwanted files from your hard drive, thus freeing up space. To access it go Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

Other then that I defrag once a week and use CC Cleaner and get it to search my registry as well.

Personally I do not recommend the use of any registry cleaners. They can often cause more harm than good. If you do feel the need to clean the registry you should make a backup first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 desinet1

desinet1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:24 PM

My take. Link

# Convert Hard Drive from FAT32 to NTFS to Run Windows Faster
# Reduce Startup Programs to Increase Windows Speed
# Disable Indexing Services to Run Windows Faster
# Increase Windows speed by Disabling Unused Windows services
# Increase Windows Speed by Optimizing Paging File
# Make Windows Run fast by Disabling Performance Counters
# Use Manual Windows Updates to Run Windows Faster
# Make Windows Fast by Adjusting Visual Effects
# Make Windows Run Faster by Disabling Error Reporting
# Disable Sounds to Make Windows Run Faster
# Defragment Hard Disks to Make Windows Run Faster
# Speedup Windows by Disabling Auto Search for Network Folders and Printers
# Get Rid of Balloon Tips to Make Windows Run Faster
# Replace Background to Load Windows XP faster
# Run Disk Cleanup and make Windows run faster
# Making Windows XP run faster by fixing system errors

#7 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:19 AM

Hmmm ... Re: "(aka scandisk)"...

I can't seem to locate it. Do use Windows Disk Clean Up nearly every night and defrag weekly ... but darned if I can find 'Scandisk'. I'm using Windows XP - would someone please be kind enough to provide steps to reach this?

Thanks so much.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:24 AM

You can access ScanDisk by opening My Computer, right-clicking the icon that represents the drive you want to scan for errors, and selecting Properties from the pop-up menu. In the resulting Properties dialog box, choose the Tools tab and click the Check Now button.
Hope this helps MaraM. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 09 August 2008 - 02:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

Your instructions are perfect - thanks ever so much, Dan! :thumbsup:
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

Glad to help Mara. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 mackone

mackone

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:41 AM

Disk fragmentation slows the overall performance of your system. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk when the file is opened to piece it back together. The response time can be significantly longer.

Disk Defragmenter is a Windows utility that consolidates fragmented files and folders on your computer's hard disk so that each occupies a single space on the disk. With your files stored neatly end-to-end, without fragmentation, reading and writing to the disk speeds up.

To use Disk Defragmenter:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Defragmenter.

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

msconfig change startup items,
services.msc stop some services.
ATF cleaner
Iobit smart defrag,
Tweaknow winsecret speed up tool