Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop - What Determines Max Hdd Drive Size?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Godwulfe

Godwulfe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

I have a Gateway M320 laptop (4 years old) that is a workhorse, but I'd like to upsize the HDD.
Intel Pentium M (735), 1.7Ghz, Phoenix BIOS, Intel 855PM chipset

The Tech support page said that the largest supported size was 80GB, which I've already upgraded to. I'd like to go bigger, but I'm not sure where this restriction comes from. Motherboard, processer, chipset?
I found a web retailer that has an upgrade guide for specific models and it shows a 120 and a 160GB HDD as compatible.

If it won't work that fine, I'd just like to know if there's a limiting factor and if so, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

Without looking up the specifics yet, you might have to update/flash the BIOS for a larger drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Godwulfe

Godwulfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:38 AM

How difficult/involved is that? As I said, the comp is a workhorse and the larger HDD isn't so much necessary as just wanted, so if there's a chance of doing something detrimental that's irreversible then it's probably not worth it?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

If you're looking for a performance boost, then getting a bigger hard drive won't help unless your current one is really full. I ran my old computer that had an 80gb hard drive for months with only a couple gigabytes left of storage, and it didn't seem to go any slower.

Now if you need more storage, it might just be easier looking into getting an external hard drive. They are getting pretty cheap as of lately, and I don't think you would face the same issue of your computer not detecting all the storage, I may be wrong though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Godwulfe

Godwulfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

Sterling,
Thanks, but it's not really for a performance boost, and I already have 3 USB drives. That's really what I'm after - eliminating the need for extra drives (or at least 1). I'd like more internal storage so I could grab-n-go without always having to remember my drives.
So, if my BIOS can't handle a larger drive it's really no big deal. Just simply a matter of convenience, and curiosity as to why the limit.
Thanks again.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

curiosity as to why the limit.

Try to remember when that computer was made. 80 gigs was HUGE. It's just the way the BIOS was written back then

Edited by garmanma, 04 August 2008 - 03:28 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 Godwulfe

Godwulfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

Let me re-phrase that - curious as to WHAT was causing the limit:
processor, BIOS, chipset, motherboard, ?,?,?

As I said, not really a big deal if I can't go bigger. I just had some conflicting info and was looking for clarification. And if the fix was simple than maybe it would be worth it. Flashing the BIOS doesn't sound like a risk I want to take with a perfectly serviceable computer though.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

The BIOS
http://www.wimsbios.com/index.jsp
http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/pcinfo/h..._sg/bios_sg.htm

Edited by garmanma, 04 August 2008 - 06:38 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users